Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't been here in some time but hoping for some help. My PC is pretty old at this point (built it 6 years ago, maybe?) and I'm thinking it's time for some upgrades. I'm not worried about my case, PSU or storage (though I am hoping to swap out my puny 64 GB SSD for a 240 GB soon). I've seen some good deals lately for 16GB's of DDR4 RAM that I'd like, but I'd need to upgrade my Motherboard first...any recommendations? Should I be upgrading my CPU at the same time too?

My budget is fairly limited - I could probably spend $200-$300 on parts now, more in the future. That said, I'm sure with as old as my computer is that even low-to-mid end stuff now would be a boost over my current rig.

My needs are mostly browsing/streaming/Photoshop. I do some occasional gaming (I do hope to upgrade my video card at some point in the future), but hardly enough where that's a pressing concern. (I'm also always 2-3 years late on games, so I don't need the highest end for current releases)

Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
If you are looking at DDR4, you will need either a X99 or Z170 motherboard with a Haswell-E or Skylake CPU, respectively. You're not going to get all 3 of those things in the $200-$300 range.

You could find one of the past generation setups for around that used, though. That'd be a big boost.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
There's nothing out there that would be worthwhile within your budget in my opinion. You should wait until you have $400-$500 to work with.

A Skylake i5 setup would cost you almost $400 easy. Unless you go barebones minimum, and you are still over budget..

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HHdP23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HHdP23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $322.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-13 14:29 EDT-0400

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm not really married to the idea of DDR4, I just tend to see them pop up more on SlickDeals front page these days and assumed it was the way to go. I'm fine sticking for DDR3, but would like to go to 16GBs.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
Im not knocking what you have by any means, but I would say if you just want to drop some money on it right now I would do as you already indicated you wanted to do and get a larger and quality SSD. Perhaps a higher resolution monitor. Something you can easily transfer over to a new system when you do get ready to build. Next year this time should be a great time to build a computer. If AMDs new CPU ends up being a good processor there will be a plethora of mainboards, ddr4 etc to be had in bundles or however you prefer to buy at good prices.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

Im not knocking what you have by any means, but I would say if you just want to drop some money on it right now I would do as you already indicated you wanted to do and get a larger and quality SSD. Perhaps a higher resolution monitor. Something you can easily transfer over to a new system when you do get ready to build. Next year this time should be a great time to build a computer. If AMDs new CPU ends up being a good processor there will be a plethora of mainboards, ddr4 etc to be had in bundles or however you prefer to buy at good prices.
That makes sense. Maybe I'll stick to upgrading my SSD and look into a new monitor for now and start saving for a new build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts