Going from:
Opteron 165 s939 (was:300x9;now:225x9)
Biostar TForce 6100
A-Data 2x1gb DDR1 400 (@500)

To:
Phenom II x2 550 (c3)
MSI 785gm-e65
A-Data 2x2gb DDR3 1600

One of my opteron cores was starting to leak alot of heat so i knew i was about to go out. When it would no longer hold 300 mhz fsb, it was time to update. This is what i ordered and it just got here today. I got it for the sole purpose of (a chance) to unlock and overclock on a budget. Ill update on what i come up with, but i still have an alcheapo PSU in. Planing on selling my old board and ram and getting an 80+ 600W with it. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i unlocked just fine (whew) and i got it to over clock to 3.61 ghz (233x15.5), but it wont boot into windows sometimes. it will blue screen before it boots, but it will always post, so im guessing my PSU is faulting when my HDD is kicking in. this is on stock 1.4v and ram at 1550 mhz stock timings.

at these settings i got 3hrs prime stable on small ftts. this is "good enough" for now untill i upgrade my PSU, but one thing that concerns me is i lost my temp readings. i knew this was going to be an issue already, but want to know what other people have use to get accurate readings. im pretty sure my current settings are pretty safe, but i dont like overclocking blind.

PS: running sandra it reads my cpu at 223W and ram at 50W. im not sure about ram but i know if my cpu is eating up 223W, this seems way to much. are these numbers correct?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
it sounds like a psu issue to me. I switched from a opt 146 to a 555be and it would work fine as a dual core. but it kept bsoding under load cuz it took too much power. I swapped out my 431w for a 750w and it works perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts