Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently running an 8800Gt in an Asus P6T SE board. I am aware that this board will not handle a SLI setup so my question is this;

Should I sell the 8800GT card to buy another single card, or

Keep it and buy another card, to have phsx?

I have a budget of around £150 pounds to upgrade.

I was thinking of getting a 5770 to keep me going till i can afford another one, then go crossfire.

I have been out of the hardware scene for a while, so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I play a few games, not all the time and run CS4 pretty much all the time as I'm a photographer, so just want to keep up with the latest hardware and treat myself, not much overclocking needed, though I have overclocked my 8800GT in the past..

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
You're right,

It won't handle SLi but there might be a bios mod or something out there so you can. However, If you have £150 spare, then you might as well go with something like the HD5770, well within your price range and great bang for buck. If you check the for sale here you might get one cheap enough to get 2 and then toss the Physx card. Actually, what I would do, sell your 8800GT for about £50, throw another £60 to your pot and get xfire 5770's.

Comps

EDIT - Sell your 8800GT for £50 then add £30 to your pot for these

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'd say forget keeping it for physX. Get a GTX 275/285 and that will be a nice upgrade from a 8800GT, with your budget. Later on you could SLI.

Also as I mentioned in your other thread, you can get SLI on the P6T SE by flashing it to the P6T bios.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Cheapest way - flash your BIOS and get another 8800GT used.
the Green way - sell your 8800GT and get a GTX275 for cheap or GTX470 or even a GTX465 and unlock it to a 470.
The red tide - keep your 8800GT for PhysX and buy a used 4890 for cheap or a reference 5850 and overclock it to 1G core.

With all these options, you still get to keep PhysX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts