Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally got around to upgrading my old rig just purchased a phenom 2 x4 965 black edition read some good post on it and good overclocking abilities and was cheap now i need a mobo and ram to go with it my current mobo does not quite handle it lol wich is a ASUS M3A78-EM running ddr2 i did put the new CPU in that board because i was to excited and couldnt wait to play surprisingly OCd it to 4100 stable well was stable for the night not no more lol but this is what i have need some recommendation for new i want the best OC ability i can get for a decent price

what i have to work with is

Phenom 2 x4 965 clack edition- CPU

Corsair H-80- Cooling

OCZ ZX series 1000w- PSU

i need RAM and MOBO i will eventually get a good GPU to go with it but for now ill have to use the old EVGA 9800 GTX+

·
Registered
383 Posts
what's your budget for these parts??
ram is pretty cheap now and for overclocking you should get a decent board.

As for the motherboard if you only plan on using one gpu you could go for an asus m5a97 le rev2; if you plan on using sli or crossfire then go for the m5a99 or sabertooth.

I can recomend these boards caus I own one of them and have done builds with the other two.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post

i just found a CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA for $130 refurbished i might go with that one.
I would go with a 9** series mobo for future upgrade. Steamroller will be AM3+.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

whats a good 9 serries for a good price? i do like asus ive had good luck with them...
Biostar TA990FXE is around $130 and it is a good mobo to oc a Phenom II on.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb 1866 are good. You can under oc them to 1600 8-8-8-24-1T on stock voltage.

EDIT
Are you planning on SLI/CF?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i found a few more i like also im just a little gun shy ive always had asus what do u guys think about the ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX i can get it for $170 new anyone have any experiences with this board.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

i found a few more i like also im just a little gun shy ive always had asus what do u guys think about the ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX i can get it for $170 new anyone have any experiences with this board.
Asus Sabertooth is one of the toughest mobo out there.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Quote:

well it has a 5 year warrenty,,,its a decent motherboard,,,good power,,,,,a little pricy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts