Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I got about $700 and in not sure if i should upgrade my cpu or my gpus.

my cpu 4ghz and a 2.75ghz nb.
my gpus gtx 460s 768mb 900core

im looking at an i7-3770k and ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

or should i upgrade my gpus to a EVGA to a gtx 680 4gb?

thank in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I would say CPU first and then gpus later when you have more cash. The 3770k is a nice processor and will last you a while. That SLI setup should keep you close to max on most games for at least another year I would say. Get yourself a nice new cpu and mobo and call it a day.

·
Programmer
2,869 Posts
I mean, maybe do both? You could buy a 3570k + a decent motherboard for around $350, and then get a 7950 or 660ti for $300. All of which would be a great increase in performance for you.

Edit: I forgot about the Microcenter $50 savings. That's even better!

·
Programmer
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchpi36 View Post

I actually need the i7 for my animation work. so the 3570k will not work
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't having a faster GPU make animation work faster vs having a fast CPU?

4 threads that do much more work per cycle than your Phenom and a huge pump in GPU power will help you around the board.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't having a faster GPU make animation work faster vs having a fast CPU?

4 threads that do much more work per cycle than your Phenom and a huge pump in GPU power will help you around the board.
Encoding/ rendering will use cpu.

·
Programmer
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill View Post

Encoding/ rendering will use cpu.
Ah! Okay, then it would probably make more sense to spend your money on a CPU if you're in need of better rendering speeds!

BTW, if there's a Micro Center store near you, $289 for a i7 3770k, if you pick it up in store.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy View Post

Ah! Okay, then it would probably make more sense to spend your money on a CPU if you're in need of better rendering speeds!

BTW, if there's a Micro Center store near you, $289 for a i7 3770k, if you pick it up in store.
And still get the $50 off. Save another $100 and still get the 670.

Or if you're paying the bills with your work, go X79 and 3930K like the big boys
wink.gif

·
Not New to OCN
1,754 Posts
Sell your old gear to help fund the new. Get CPU and GPU!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well If I were you I would go for the 680. Your processor might bottleneck it a little but you can always upgrade that later (and maybe switch to intel?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts