Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I just upgraded my old Dell 1080P IPS 60hz monitor to a 23.8 in LG 4k IPS 60hz monitor. I just realized that my current GTX1080 OC 2100/11000 is not enough to maintain 60fps in the newest title games I play. Will buying a used 1080ti on ebay right now be a nice upgrade from my 1080 OC (I will be selling my 1080 out too)? Or should I bee looking into the new RTX 2080/2070 series?

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
If you have the patience, wait a month (probably less) until we see actual benchmarks for the RTX cards. You can make a more informed decision then.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
It's impossible to say for sure whether the RTX 2080 will be enough of a boost until we see benchmarks. The GTX 1080 Ti is probably a better value since there's several available on eBay for under $550.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Recently I just upgraded my old Dell 1080P IPS 60hz monitor to a 23.8 in LG 4k IPS 60hz monitor. I just realized that my current GTX1080 OC 2100/11000 is not enough to maintain 60fps in the newest title games I play. Will buying a used 1080ti on ebay right now be a nice upgrade from my 1080 OC (I will be selling my 1080 out too)? Or should I bee looking into the new RTX 2080/2070 series?
truth be told, only the 2080ti will truly satisfy for 4K gaming. This I can tell you already after having an SLI of 2*TitanXP(=1080ti)

·
Overclocker in training
14,054 Posts
Hi,
2080ti is the same price as a titan Xp at 1200.us from nvidia no telling what evga/ zotac/... will be offering and how much lol
No telling if it's the same or better at the same tasks yet there is nothing to really go by other than the regular preorder sells cool-aid :D
Most are holding off
Others that have money to burn will always impulse buy because they can :D

So yeah 1080ti ftw3 is a good one
1080 classified is another good one or any king|pin :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
In fact, looking at the rig in OP's signature I know exactly which card he needs to make that awesome difference:

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=386

I know this will probably trigger lots of unhappy responses from alot of people but I'll give the advice anyway because from experience I know for sure my reasoning is sound on this particular question:

-Even without having all the proper benchmarks in we already know we'll get at least an average upgrade of 30% more fps compared to 1080ti and in his case over 50% more compared to his current gpu.
-only proper watercooled cards allow 100% flatline gpu usage (afterburner) non thermal throttled under max OC settings which exactly gives those awesome steady fps
-This is the only card that comes with integrated AIO cooling (for systems that don't have a full custom loop already)
-It has exactly enough radiator surface to lose alot of heat while still fitting in all common cases

Of course having the cash or not or being willing to fork up that kind of cash is a whole different question. That only OP can answer :)

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
^Dats the 'easy button' answer. :p I'll add to that comment. If OP decides to go RTX, try to preorder now. The card is selling out extremely quick. The first few weeks/months its going to be hard to get.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,870 Posts
My best friend offered me a pretty good price for my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 so i am seriously thinking about buying a GTX 1080 Ti as its more than fast enough
Would be way cheaper than getting a RTX 2080 or even the RTX 2070 so good idea or not?

The GTX 1080 Ti is 6500 kr ($1000) here in Denmark but selling the GTX 1080 would drop it down to 2400 kr ($375) and thats the same price as a brand new 6 GB GTX 1060 card
The pre orders for the RTX 280 are 6400 to 8200 kr and the RTX 2080 Ti are 10-11.000 kr

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your suggestions. My original thoughts were grab a 1080ti used on ebay, and then hold it until 7nm GPU comes out. I have been watching the prices on ebay and most of those cards can be purchased for between $450-$500, so I guess grabbing a 1080ti used would be the best choice for now. I really don't want to spend 699 on a 2080, and I was thinking about just grab a 2070 for 499 if the performance matches with 1080ti with lower power consumption, just like the 980ti vs 1070.

·
Overclocker in training
14,054 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. My original thoughts were grab a 1080ti used on ebay, and then hold it until 7nm GPU comes out. I have been watching the prices on ebay and most of those cards can be purchased for between $450-$500, so I guess grabbing a 1080ti used would be the best choice for now. I really don't want to spend 699 on a 2080, and I was thinking about just grab a 2070 for 499 if the performance matches with 1080ti with lower power consumption, just like the 980ti vs 1070.
Hi,
As long as the 1080ti you're looking at is not a founders edition = single fan cooling card it would be a good choice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again I've got a brand new 1080TI MSi with triple cooling for sale $550 shipped :) it's the Duke edition...
Thanks for the offer and yes I do see that, but I'm leaning towards to EVGA brand more as they have a better warranty. I did contact their warranty department for my office PC GTX1060. I was able to registered the card without any issues and I still can get the warranty without the original receipt, plus even if I break the warranty seal, they will still honor the warranty as long as there is no physical damage on the card itself. So that's why I'm planning to buy a EVGA brand if I'm going used.

Hi,
As long as the 1080ti you're looking at is not a founders edition = single fan cooling card it would be a good choice.
I don't have any issues buying a founders edition from EVGA as long as the price is the lowest. Because I can easily move my after market Arctic Cooling GPU heatsink on my current GPU to the 1080ti.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have the patience, wait a month (probably less) until we see actual benchmarks for the RTX cards. You can make a more informed decision then.
Not benchmarks but some numbers released by Nvidia for the regular 2080:

https://image.ibb.co/iM4foK/20804k.jpg

It's not too telling as it doesn't mention settings...but I'm assuming that is maxed out settings with AA applied. DLSS is also an interesting feature in these 20xx series of cards that acts like AA without the performance penalty apparently. That's gonna be a game changer for next gen it seems, especially mid-range cards like the 2060/2070.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts