Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5770 and am considering upgrading to a new card. What would be the next step up, either Green or Red? Also i would prefer a card that only needs one pcie power connection. So far it looks like the 6850 is the only one that fits. Any others? Any comments on the 6850?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsudvm;11988680
I have a 5770 and am considering upgrading to a new card. What would be the next step up, either Green or Red? Also i would prefer a card that only needs one pcie power connection. So far it looks like the 6850 is the only one that fits. Any others? Any comments on the 6850?
The 6850 is not much faster than the 5770...

Don't even bother. Save your money.

Wait for Southern Islands

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neitzluber
View Post

Wait for Southern Islands

Or, if you wait and wait and wait for Ultra-Super-Duper-Southern Islands, it will destroy a 6990 with ease. I hear release date is 2014. Might want to start saving now..

Just teasing..

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Well, your PSU could cope with dual GTX580s, even on your dual CPU rig... So I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to avoid dual power plug cards (of which I can highly recommend the GTX460 and 560).
But if you're fixed on single plug cards, then you're best sticking with the 5770, as there's very few single plug cards that even equal it, and even fewer that beat it. The super-clocked GTS450 is about the only choice that beats the 5770, and even then it only beats it on some games. The 6850 is an upgraded 5750, so at best it will sneak past your 5770. You won't notice much difference to be honest, unless it will flash to the 6870, even then, you're moving to a revised version of your current card.

Stick with the 5770, or take the plunge and plug a second PCI-E power cable into your PSU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts