Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is it worth upgrading from the onboard crosshair iv formula to a real sound card ? Will it offer MUCH better results on games and music ?

And which sound card is really worth without spending 200 $ ?

edit :

P.S i am using razer barracuda headset

Thanks

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone ?

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
With those headphones I don't think you'll notice any difference...or any signifcant difference to justify the price.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
All depends on how much you value sound in your overall personal budget. Are you willing to spend 250 on another headphone, then 200 on a stx or claro for better headphone musical performance and soundstage improvement for gaming? Most people answer no.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

With those headphones I don't think you'll notice any difference...or any signifcant difference to justify the price.

so they literally suck ? i cant imagine having something better seriously in games its like having a wallhack or something , i hear everything

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Honestly, you probably won't notice that much of a difference reguardless of what you are listening to. Sound is a personal preference and it does vary for each person, but I can tell you this. For most people it isn't worth the extra money. take that money and put it towards a new monitor or something

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheth4400
View Post

Honestly, you probably won't notice that much of a difference reguardless of what you are listening to. Sound is a personal preference and it does vary for each person, but I can tell you this. For most people it isn't worth the extra money. take that money and put it towards a new monitor or something

omg everyone is telling me about my poor monitor
im getting a new one ASAP . OCN vs me for the monitor

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz
View Post

omg everyone is telling me about my poor monitor
im getting a new one ASAP . OCN vs me for the monitor

well with a 5870 yeah, you should have at least a 22" monitor.
with a 1920x1080 resolution

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

well with a 5870 yeah, you should have at least a 22" monitor.
with a 1920x1080 resolution

i love having 100 fps at bbc2 at max

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Most people thats on onboard telling other people to spend money on something esle other then a sound card. Never really used a sound card before and or had crappy speakers/headphones. Sound is just as important as video in games.Onboard audio is no where near as good as sound cards.

Once you use a sound card and have to go back to using onboard audio you would wanna pull your ears out.Til then you think onboard end all. There was times where I had to use onboard for temp and Wish I could rip it off the motherboard and burn it.

You can get a Xonar Xense which comes with a Xense edition PC350 which is better then the orginal PC350,so you hit two birds with one stone and get both out the way.

If not You can just grab a Xonar DS or a Forte then later down the line grab a better pair of headphones and ejoy.

Because I used to have the Razer headsets my self along with the sound card and the headsets was the most pos headset I ever wish I didnt buy.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz View Post
so they literally suck ? i cant imagine having something better seriously in games its like having a wallhack or something , i hear everything
No, I didn't say they sucked. It just won't provide any signifcant benefits to your low end headphones. Heck, even my HD555s didn't need a sound card. Once you start playing with the quality systems or go the digital route you'll notice massive differences in quality (onboard usually have troubles with digital so I hear on here).

The only differences you'll notice with your current set up is slightly clearer lows and highs at high dB (~70+) and, depending on the card, enchanced surround sound effects (DTS/DDL). But that is iff you are using the analog connections.

The main point of sounds cards are this: 1. to provide little to no distortion at high dB to your output via audio processing, 2. to allow amplification and enough power to each channel to reach the impedence of the speakers/headphones, and 3. enhanced digital effects/hardware acceleration.

Right now your sound card is by far good enough to power the baracudas. Btw, how you liking them?

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz
View Post

i love having 100 fps at bbc2 at max

I KNOW EH! Peeps just won't understand the logic of the tiny screen.

Haha, though 1920x1200 is so awesome, the FPS hit with the requirements of stronger graphic cards to allow 60+ is just too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah , i was wondering the same thing about the onboard sound on my asus crosshair IV . i have the sharkoon xtatics . sound pretty good . wonderin if i would get a louder fuller signal from a dedicated sound card . i have an old audgy 2 but there seems to be a problem with it in win 64 where the mic input cuts out . or maybe its just to old now . it was bought 10 years agao . creative cs sux .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts