Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I recently decided to upgrade my i7 950, it just can't keep up with the latest games.
I can't afford to spend much money, I mostly play video games and I'd like to stream as well.
What do you think about a Xeon E3-1231 V3 or a i7 4790k ?

Thoughts? Recommendations? Let me know!

Thanks

·

13,000 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a good cpu and I can get it at a cheap price like you said.
I guess the extra 2 cores over my i7 950 will be really useful when it comes to streaming but will I also notice a significant fps boost ?
Because as far as I know, most games still rely heavily on single thread performance and it has a lower frequency than my i7 950.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddeNroot View Post

Looks like a good cpu and I can get it at a cheap price like you said.
I guess the extra 2 cores over my i7 950 will be really useful when it comes to streaming but will I also notice a significant fps boost ?
Because as far as I know, most games still rely heavily on single thread performance and it has a lower frequency than my i7 950.
Yes the extra cores will help alot when streaming but there is no IPC increase. You can, however, overclock the 32nm chips higher and at a cooler temp. The UE4 engine is now pushing DX12 which will use up to 6 core/threads for GPU functions. So this will help, by how much I'm not sure. There is a lot of speculation right now. I personally am enjoying these 32nm chips in my machines. I don't overclock my X5690 but I do, however, overclock my W3690.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would make sure the board is compatible with the chip. Make sure your bios is up to day before you swap out chips. I personally would opt for the W3680, or W3690. If your motherboard has the latest X58 revision the unlocked multi in either those chips will work. I think the W3690 has a multiplier that tops out at 68x.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts