Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do you guys think? is it worth changing my motherboard and getting a 2500k/2600k or should i just stick with my Gigabyte 990FXA and get one of the bulldozer 8 cores. Is there really that much of a performance difference in games?, although i must admit i have been very disappointed with AMD and even my phenom II X4 feels like it should perform better.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well from what I hear, 2500k = 8150.

I can't say from experience but this is what I am hearing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0NSTANT1N3 View Post

have they given a release date yet?
Idk but I heard it's just around the corner. Honestly, you have a solid rig as it is. I would wait until the next line up of AMD chips come out. Or just bite the bullet and get a 2500k or a Sandy Bridge setup so you can upgrade later down the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the advice, still not sure what to do though. it's to tempting to buy a bulldozer, mainly because i can afford one right now and i won't need to do anything except update my mobo bios. so every other option but the bulldozer or possibly piledriver is gonna cost me around double the price with a z68 board included in that.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
For gaming, upgrading from phenom to bulldozer is pointless and a waste of money. I'd recommend 2500k but since you would have to purchase another mobo for it, I'd say just hold on to your 965 for a few more months till at least ivy bridge is released (not sure when piledriver would be released though, possibly Q3 2012).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been going back and forth between the 2600k and the bulldozer for weeks, i think i'm just gonna get the 2500k as opposed to the 2600k and i could probably save a bit of money on a motherboard if i got a p67 although i'm not to sure how well they overclock.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbranch View Post

For gaming, upgrading from phenom to bulldozer is pointless and a waste of money. I'd recommend 2500k but since you would have to purchase another mobo for it, I'd say just hold on to your 965 for a few more months till at least ivy bridge is released (not sure when piledriver would be released though, possibly Q3 2012).
Piledriver is supposedly being released Q1 2012. I'm waiting for Piledriver and Ivy before I make my upgrade.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0NSTANT1N3 View Post

I've been going back and forth between the 2600k and the bulldozer for weeks, i think i'm just gonna get the 2500k as opposed to the 2600k and i could probably save a bit of money on a motherboard if i got a p67 although i'm not to sure how well they overclock.
The only time I would recommend a bulldozer is for overclocking. To be honest I think you should just invest in a new mother board and put the new chip off for a bit.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've been looking at prices and so far i reckon i could get the MSI Z68A-GD55 and the i5 2500k for £300 roughly so it's only £100 more than the fx-8150. i would wait for an ivy or piledriver, but i'm a very impatient person and i've been plagued with this phenom II X4 for to long.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
im coming from a 955 and a 990XA-UD3 i found out that a new Power supply,Motherboard and proccessor between the two AMD and Intel is only a $20 usd difference for my needs. so im going intel
biggrin.gif
and the Motherboard for Intel is Ivy Bridge compatible and only costs less then $130 usd to me
biggrin.gif
, i think a I5 would be a good route if Piledriver doesn't deliever even tho Trinity which is based on Piledriver seems to be delievering what people want in a medium price laptop
biggrin.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts