Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading my board CPU and ram to an i7 920 setup. I do a lot of rendering and I have noticed I could use more ram for heavy multitasking.

Anybody else do it and end up unimpressed?

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambow70
View Post

i would get ddr3 but idk about i7 every one says its a fail

WHAT?

Who the heck said i7 was a fail? These things are amazing...

to the OP, yes its totally worth it. The performance increases are huge, these things OC a lot better, and they are a ton more responsive. If you have the budget, do it. I went from a Q9450 to an i7 920 and the difference has been like night and day.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Coming from a amd user that does not have a i7. I say wait to some one who has the I7 to answer the question.

but in my opinion it will be worth it to go I7

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Maybe I havent been looking, but I havent seen many if any people raving about how much better it is than a Q6600... If you have a Q6600, its probably best to keep it for now, since it would mean upgrading to a whole new socket, and getting some ddr3 ram. (i7 needs DDR3 right?) plus I think it uses a lot more power when compared to a Q6600. That means a lot to me since I like low power bills.. My opinion is to keep the Q6600 for now.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0rion
View Post

Maybe I havent been looking, but I havent seen many if any people raving about how much better it is than a Q6600... If you have a Q6600, its probably best to keep it for now, since it would mean upgrading to a whole new socket, and getting some ddr3 ram. (i7 needs DDR3 right?) plus I think it uses a lot more power when compared to a Q6600. That means a lot to me since I like low power bills.. My opinion is to keep the Q6600 for now.

It uses more power at load, yes. But when its at idle, the power savings kicks in a lot more. It can disable cores that arent in use competely, which takes the TDP from 130W down to less than 45W... Which isnt to say that its using 130W and 45W, but actually less than that, the TDP is the max it can use in that current power scheme. So it uses a lot less than the Q6600 at idle, which is where it should be for the most part unless you're folding 24/7

The i7's power savings at idle is a ton better, basically is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Agreed on the q6600,

You will be a bit more performance with the I7 but I wouldn't think it's enough to warrant the cost right this moment. If it's for work purposes then please do so but if it's just for basic usage and just to see how much better or faster it is than the q6600, I would save my money at this moment and wait till the price drops a bit more.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJZeratul
View Post

It uses more power at load, yes. But when its at idle, the power savings kicks in a lot more. It can disable cores that arent in use competely, which takes the TDP from 130W down to less than 45W... Which isnt to say that its using 130W and 45W, but actually less than that, the TDP is the max it can use in that current power scheme. So it uses a lot less than the Q6600 at idle, which is where it should be for the most part unless you're folding 24/7

The i7's power savings at idle is a ton better, basically is what I'm trying to say.

Didn't know that.... thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashblk
View Post

Didn't know that.... thanks.

Just for clarification: It only works if you have C1E and SpeedStep enabled. Which I would recommend anyway because it saves a LOT of money on the power bills. This of course works only as long as you can OC with it on and remain stable, which I have been able to do on most of my builds.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
that should be a good upgrade if you don't mind the cost. but with your sig, i'd use that money to buy a better graphics card and a bigger display.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
if you have extra money to spend you will notice a difference with the i7 and the q6600. My friend went from a q6600 to an i7 and the speeds are definitely noticable when encoding and taking advantage of all the cores.

However if you are iffy about spending the money, dont upgrade since i'm sure your q6600 is able to handle anything you truely throw at it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Me personally id stick with the Q6600 and get a new Graphics card. That is unless you do a lot of video decoding etc, in which case deffo get the I7.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Go crawl back under your rock my friend, your info is way off. I imagine the only people that call it fail are the ones that don't own one and may have never used one. I love my i7 and I'm coming off a Q9300. Honestly games are NO DIFFERENT, but everything is fast and snappier. Apps perform a noticeably amount faster. DVD's encode faster, and RAR's unpack faster.

Here you go... if you the cash to spend one an i7 and you think your PC is a bit to slow for you, then do it. I your PC runs fine and you can think of better things to buy, then don't go i7. In the end you will need to as they will stop supporting 775.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xecuter2
View Post

The performance gain while encoding with HT enabled is MASSIVE vs the q6600, AND the fact that 3.8ghz+ is very easy to obtain on a moderate cooler.

To answer some questions, I'm an animation student. I frequently use all cores at 100% while rendering. Basically right now I'm rendering frames over and over to see lighting and material adjustments and it wastes time. In theory the I7 920 overclocked could cut my render times in half.

Was just wondering if anyone has seen a worthwhile difference between an the q6600 and i7 920 while encoding/rendering.

Oh yeah I'm sticking to single card solutions, don't think I'll ever need crossfire or SLI. What board would you guys suggest?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts