Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to upgrade from my venerable x850xt. I am looking for the best video card in the approximately $200 price point. My monitor supports up to 1280x720 resolution. The games that I will be playing are CS:S which runs pretty well right now but not at max settings, Call of Jaurez, Company of Heroes, F.E.A.R., and Oblivion. So factoring in overclocking I would like to know what the best card I can get is. Noise production doesn't make any difference to me. I have been out of the loop for a while in terms of hardware so I have no idea how well the new cards overclock.

·
Old school
14,377 Posts
AGP or PCI-e?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
7600GT's are very fast cards, should be a little faster than your X850 and it will have SM3, so much better image quality. Another option to consider would be waiting for good rebate on a 7900GT (sometimes as low as $229). With a voltmod, the 7900GT's can overclock to insane speeds (sometimes 1700mhz memory), but you'll need an aftermarket cooler for the voltmods.<br />
<br />
Both of those cards are available in PCI-e, but only the 7600GT comes in AGP.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have PCI-E and I am not going to get a 7600gt because it doesn't offer substantial or any performance gain in most games over an x850xt so to me it isn't worth $150 just for SM3. Thanks for the suggestions though. I have not seen a 7900gt that is going for anywhere near $229 with a rebate so could you give me a link please.

·
Old school
14,377 Posts
A 7900GS goes for around 200$ and sometimes less, and most of them overclock to 7900GTX speeds. However you have half the ram then, and 4 less pipelines and 1 vertex shader less. Still good value for money though.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was looking at the 7900GS. If they overclock like you say they do then that seems like a great deal at $200. Anyone else have any overclocking results from that card?

·
Old school
14,377 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>Malaziel</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Yeah I was looking at the 7900GS. If they overclock like you say they do then that seems like a great deal at $200. Anyone else have any overclocking results from that card?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div><a href="http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/945/3/page_3_the_card/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/945...ard/index.html</a><br />
<br />
Scroll down.

• Rep+
Reactions: Malaziel

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is some incredible overclocking without volt mods or aftermarket cooling. Was that a rare occurance or can they all overclock like that?

·
Old school
14,377 Posts
<tr>

<div>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">That is some incredible overclocking without volt mods or aftermarket cooling. Was that a rare occurance or can they all overclock like that?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>No they also got a review of the Palit 7900GS reaching the exact same clocks. It comes bundled with DTM Race Driver 3 if you are into racing games.

• Rep+
Reactions: Malaziel

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
nope, the G71 is a monster overclocker, and the 7900GS is a great deal. The X1800XT is good, too.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Keep your current card. I don't see how a x850xt cannot max CS:S...unless you insist on 8x AA, 16x AF @ insane resolutions.<br />
<br />
Edit: I see you have Oblivion in that list. In that case, a x1900gt/7900gt should be the minimum.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not going to keep my current card as I am not happy with its performance. I can max out CS:S on my card but it does not net me what I believe to be playable framerates for competative online gaming. I consider framerate dips into the the 30s to not be acceptable. With CS:S at max settings with HDR I get about 20-30 fps on Militia and Dust with dips into the teens and this is not playable to me.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
<tr>

<div>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic"> With CS:S at max settings with HDR I get about 20-30 fps on Militia and Dust with dips into the teens and this is not playable to me.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>How is that possible? It must be a driver issue or something. You running it at 1280/720 right?<br />
<br />
I know for a fact a x850xt is substantially faster than a 6800GS in source games, and mine maxes them out (1440/900 w/4xaa & 4xaf) with an average of 50-60 fps on the HDR maps.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that has happend with all the drivers I have ever installed for this card. From Cat 6.3-6.9 and the Omega drivers. My computer just seems to run slower than it should everyone tells me this. I run 43 seconds in SuperPI with a 2.6ghz overclock. I have no idea why it does. Nothing seems to be wrong with it. I have run registry fixes, run good virus protection, and scan for spyware.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1st) somethings wrong with your your vidcard or pc or something because x850's are very PLAYABLE for competive play.take it from me homie.<br />
2nd) save yo money for dx10 because your card is good nuff for source.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
<tr>

<div>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I am not going to keep my current card as I am not happy with its performance. I can max out CS:S on my card but it does not net me what I believe to be playable framerates for competative online gaming. I consider framerate dips into the the 30s to not be acceptable. With CS:S at max settings with HDR I get about 20-30 fps on Militia and Dust with dips into the teens and this is not playable to me.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Get a 7900GT. At my max non-voltmodded overclock, I got no less than 50 FPS on any map at max settings and 1600 x 1200.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts