Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm using a gtx 480 reference card for my build. I'm still running on the lga 1366 platform i7 930. This rig is about 4ish years old. During that time I've upgrade my monitor to a dell u27 2560x1440. I'm at a point where I don't mind spending a little on upgrading my gfx card, but is there any upgrade worth getting that doesn't cost a lot? Not looking to spend more than 150USD. I live in hk so I won't get prices you see on Newegg. Most likely 10%higher than that of Newegg prices.

I use it mainly for occasional gaming. Would it be worth upgrading or leaving it till it dies?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well with a budget of $150 you could get a 750Ti or a 260X, both would perform about the same if not a bit better than your stated 480. I'd lean towards the 260X as AMD plays nicer with higher resolutions. But the 480 is still ok if well maintained and disregarding power draw.

Edit: I did consider your 10% price increase with these recommendations.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,747 Posts
Unfortunately the only downside to the price range is most cards will be a side grade from your gtx480..

However, on the upside those cards will run a lot cooler and as long as you go for a 2gb model it will give you a little more headroom with newer titles

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's roughly what I gauged I'd have available to me at that price. Unfortunately this isn't a rig I use frequently so it doesn't justify upgrading to a high spec machine.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As others have said, $150 would get you a card that is marginally better than the GTX 480 you currently have. I would hold what you have for the moment. Another option would be to roll the dice on a used card off eBay or something like that. I have seen used r9 280x cards for $150 on eBay. That would be a nice upgrade and allow you to play some modern games at 1440p and utilize that monitor you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts