Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im somewhat new to overclocking and i need some advice with choosing a upgrade. im not very fimiliar with anything outside my own comp since ive had it for 4 years. im also running on a budget of $200. i believe you can see my specs below. thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
your in a bit of a tough position since your mobo has FSB speed of 533 upgrading to another 533 cpu wont be much of an upgrade plus your ram is only pc2700, you could however get a new cpu with a FSB of 800 and then try and overclock it to default speeds to hold you over until you can get a new mobo, that is only if your current mobo supports overclocking...

if I were you I would save up some more so you could upgrade your mobo/cpu/ram all at once

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I agree. I woudl need to know what you plan on doing and how you run it now before i can tell you what would be your best choice. Is your GFX integrated?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If Im not mistaken that board will only run with the 400mhz CPU's, Ive had this board and tried to upgrade3 it with a Celeron D 335, and it was not compatible, from the specs I had gotten was it is a 400mhz board and not a 533 or above, however I only tried 1 CPU with it and I guess the board did not support prescott CPU's. If you realy want to upgrade Id suggest, going with a different board( I replaced the P4G533 with a Biostar P4M80-M4 and put my Celey D 335 in and overclocked it to 3.5ghz, I did upgrade the ram at the same time. And I kept the cost bellow $200, it was. Not top quality items but it got me by till I built my current rig. You could actualy buy your new items, then sell you current setup for a good chunk, I sold my P4G533 a month ago for $145 just for the board itself. EDIT BTW that setup I had is up for sale, although I cant sell it here, it is listed on ebay at just 85.99 Ive got a feedback of over 200+ so if interested pm me and we can talk.
Anyways heres what I bought to start with.

Board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138262
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819112186
Ram:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220037

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: jcousins

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys, it showed me what i really need( original plan was more RAM and bigger vid card) im not really sure about the AMD setup though, the only thing ive ever played with was intel but im really considering it.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
If you got an AMD up to 3.0 gh, like you did with the celly, it would be a lot faster, i mean a lot.

• Rep+
Reactions: jcousins

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i really needed a mobo with integrated video because i dont have a card and i realy cant spend more money on one

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Its your choice, but integrated video sucks balls. You wont be able to play any good games.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts