Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know my cpu is still fine for the most part gaming wise. Espescially since it clocks to 4.8Ghz @1.275V
But some newer games give it a hell of a work out. Mostly playing GTA V right now paired with a GTX 970 @1430mhz. Thst get it cranking up near 100% most of the time. Is it worth upgrading to an i7 for newer games?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I think it's just GTA V, if I'm not mistaken. I remember vaguely that it's either optimized poorly, or just rather demanding on quad core CPUs - or both.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jimbags

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REP+ Oh I see, maybe DX12 could change things though... Ive loved the i5's (2500k before my Ivy) but next upgrade im going to save for a while so prob be extreme edition i7 of some sort X99 or what ever is after it. That should last me a while anyway.
thumb.gif

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
I would wait to see what DX12 has to offer before jumping to a new CPU/mobo. With the way things are now, I don't expect to upgrade from my 3570K until 2018-2020.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jimbags

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Used 3770K is rather cheap upgrade. I enjoy my 3770 that's not hitting 100% usage in any modern game (GTA V and BF4 especially), unlike the 3570K.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Oh, GTA V plays better with Hyper Threading?

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
My problem with GTA V is my GPU isn't enough at 4960x1600. My i7 has no issues keeping up though. If anything, find a good clocking used 3770k and call it a day. No reason to do a full platform jump, but going to an i7 definitely couldn't hurt anything if you could find a good deal used.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Oh, GTA V plays better with Hyper Threading?
Seems so. I wasn't vastly limited by the [email protected],4 as I'm playing at 1440p on a GTX 960, but the difference in frametimes and minimums was observable. That stuttering when your CPU hits 100%, it's pretty nasty.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Seems so. I wasn't vastly limited by the [email protected],4 as I'm playing at 1440p on a GTX 960, but the difference in frametimes and minimums was observable. That stuttering when your CPU hits 100%, it's pretty nasty.
I guess that makes sense; GTA 4 simply played much better on Quad Core CPUs. Now we have GTA 5 which need quad core CPUs with Hyper Threading. Good grief, what's next? GTA 6 needing hexacore CPUs at minimum? lol

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

I guess that makes sense; GTA 4 simply played much better on Quad Core CPUs. Now we have GTA 5 which need quad core CPUs with Hyper Threading. Good grief, what's next? GTA 6 needing hexacore CPUs at minimum? lol
1440p with a GTX 960. He could have GPU slow downs too. My 7970 hits VRAM walls easily, even at 2560x1600 (pretty much 1440p). Lowering a few settings, I'm sure the i5 can still do just fine in GTA V, its really well optimized.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

1440p with a GTX 960. He could have GPU slow downs too. My 7970 hits VRAM walls easily, even at 2560x1600 (pretty much 1440p). Lowering a few settings, I'm sure the i5 can still do just fine in GTA V, its really well optimized.
Nah. Not running out of VRAM and doing very much 60+fps v-synced. GTA likes to reserve as much VRAM as it can but scales well to almost any amount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts