Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always gone with a sli setup, ever since the gtx 275s, then 480s, then 670 ftws, and finally 970 scs.
I currently am using the 970s, and am happy with their performance. However, I am looking at a monitor upgrade, possibly the acer predator x34 curved ultra wide.
With this in mind, do you think I would be good in using my current cards, or upgrading to the next generation?
My needs for gaming ate are being able to max out all the details add still get as close to 60 fps as possible (current monitor only sports 60Hz, also looking to go past this if I can)
I'm not looking to go 4k unless I can definitely do 60 fps, I just bought a 55 inch curved Samsung 4k tv I could play on, thus the need for a monitor would be mainly moot.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Anything pass 1440p will generally require a GTX 980 or better. I wouldn't bother with X34 if you don't have a 980.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Anything pass 1440p will generally require a GTX 980 or better. I wouldn't bother with X34 if you don't have a 980.
My cards can do Witcher 3 maxed out, 1800p with dsr, at around 60 fps.
And metal gear phantom pain at 4k, mostly stable at around 60 fps, work dips into the high forties.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Buy the monitor and find out? If you need more performance grab another card or 2. It'll be up to you if performance is good enough I would think.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
a monitor and a tv are different. which every it is that you get make sure that it has gsync because in my opinion its a must have especially with high res that pushes current hardware to the limits. for a 1440p ultrawide i would sell both the 970s and get a single 980ti. for 4k two 980ti although one will give you a good experience. again gsync gsync gsync..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts