Overclock.net banner

Which should I choose?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which I want to do, but as I now I'm not sure. I've got two options I'm considering right now. Onto the dilemma...

I want to add another 6950 TFII and upgrade my PSU to a 750W SeaSonic. I'm not sure if my 955 will bottleneck it or not, so my options are:

1) Getting a new board to overclock my 955 better (still may bottleneck though)

or

2) Getting a 2500K because it's got some pretty sexy specs and is more future-proof

Option one would be cheaper, but a 2500K would definitely be more future-proof.

Also, unrelated, I'd be re-doing my loop as well, replacing the crappy stock Rasa tubing for some nice blue tubing and possibly throwing in a 120mm rad. Load temps are ~50 C with the 240 rad, would the 120 help a lot? It'd be a thick rad like the RX120 or Black Ice Xtreme.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I would hold the 955 and mobo until Intel socket 2011.

I guess thats vote three then.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmchugh
View Post

I would hold the 955 and mobo until Intel socket 2011.

I guess thats vote three then.

Is 2011 really going to be that much better than 1155? I thought it was just a die shrink

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razr m3;15345964
Is 2011 really going to be that much better than 1155? I thought it was just a die shrink
confused.gif
2011 is Sandy Bridge-E. Ivy Bridge is still 1155.

Pardon my spelling/grammer. Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chAdd1ct;15345998
If u want performance now I would get the 2500k. It blows anything AMD has to offer out of the water. The 2500k also has really good power saving features. I think a 955 would bottleneck your crossfire setup.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the 955 would bottleneck and I would hate to waste money on a new board and still have a bottleneck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by importflip;15346106
2011 is Sandy Bridge-E. Ivy Bridge is still 1155.

Pardon my spelling/grammer. Using Tapatalk
How much better would Sandy Bridge-E be over say a 2500K?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I understand your board has poor VRMs but you already have a fairly nice overclock for that CPU. Are you sure you'll be able to get it that much higher with a better board?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I voted for 2500K. Who knows, maybe there'll be a really good deal for it with Nov. and the BF sales approaching in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaoticKinesis
View Post

I understand your board has poor VRMs but you already have a fairly nice overclock for that CPU. Are you sure you'll be able to get it that much higher with a better board?

It actually has good VRMs (8+1), its just they're unheatsinked. Also, the crossfire slots are x16 and x4 so there'd be performance loss because of that. As for the overclock, is not 100% stable, but fine tuning isn't an option when I'm at college and my rig is 160 miles away...

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by razr m3
View Post

How much better would Sandy Bridge-E be over say a 2500K?

Well Ivy is supposed to be around 20% better, so maybe SB-E will be a little higher? I forget where I read about Ivy bridge being 3% better, but it's what I read.

EDIT: Appologies, I read that wong. I was subtracting when I shouldnt have been xD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bima Sylirian
View Post

Sandy Bridge performance per clock is only around 17% more than Lynnfield.
Ivy Bridge will be target 20% more performance per clock compared to Sandy Bridge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts