Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Buy New and Use Old HW (HD,VGA,DVDRW)

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get back into the PC World; now saying that I am not sure if now is the time to build. Here is my situation. I miss PC gaming and other things that my laptop can’t support. I have almost a complete "Old PC" that can be assemble AMD 939 2Gig Ram Nvidia 8800GT the only things that I will need are a Case and Power supply. That being said I kind of want to build new, maybe my old equipment can hold till next year pushing it and Bulldozer new VGA will be available. I am looking forward to Starcraft 2 my laptop will run it not optimizes but ok and Dungeon Siege 3 and a few FPS I miss them.
Should I wait a bit more and assemble old PC or buy new.
LL

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I say build an AM3 rig with a cheaper AM3 cpu nothing like X6 or anything like that and wait for bulldozer to come out and pop that in!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I would say use your old stuff until you are content to upgrade. You could buy a really nice PSU and case with the idea of selling the old stuff and then keeping the PSU and case for the upgrade. Your money wouldn't be wasted because a case and a PSU do not go obsolete very fast (never).

That GPU is ok for a bit. Prices on top shelf video cards (58xx and GTX4xx) are coming back down to earth now. They were stagnant for a while but in a month or two they will be below their original MSRP. AMD Bulldozer is coming which many people are excited about.

I would say wet your pallet on a nice case and a PSU (don't forget fans, heatsink and mods), then use your old stuff for a while. You can then buy a nice GPU when you find a good deal. You can sit on that for a while, then sell the mobo, old GPU and cpu as a bundle for 100 bucks and upgrade to something new.

Of course you can overclock the old stuff too! I got back into computers with an old socket 754. Slapped a cheap heatsink on their and went to town. If you break it, no big. It is a good way to get rid of your overclocker rust. I bought a case and a PSU, then when I felt like upgrading I pulled the usable stuff out and it wasn't so expensive. I like to spread builds out. You can get the best deals that way and if you buy the stuff that doesn't go out of style first it helps.

Of course you could be rich, young and impulsive which I guess I gave you the worst advice in the world for that situation.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Honestly, you'd be better off building a more current PC. Just make sure you shop around and check some deal websites like slickdeals.net to find the cheapest price on the items you want.

Now you could get the parts for the old machine just to run and then build a new machine once the new AMD Architecture comes out as well.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i moved from S939 to what i have now, and it's been well worth it...

it'd be far better, and smarter to move forwards, and build a new rig - considering the way AMD has the lower-end price points covered like water on a river bed, you can definitely find something that suits your needs.

-e- if you want to provide a copy of a cart, please either take a picture of the parts in the cart, or a list with links... it's really hard to read what you posted, as the resolution is really low.

judging by what you have, though, i'd drop the 2gb Toxic, since it'd probably be wasted and is really expensive. i'd also grab a cheaper case, and use the spare cash on getting a 1055T... also check out combo deals, as they can really help in saving money (there have been loads of good ones on the 1055T for example)

that said, your choices look OK - be sure to make a thread so someone can help you further.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy a new AM3 socket CPU & Mobo & RAM and then use the components from your old PC to "complete" the build. This'll be initially a low cost exercise and then when bulldozer comes out you will have more savings to spend on the new hardware.

Coupled with your old items, an AM3 CPU,MOBO & RAM should serve ok with the games you want to play on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read suggestion that the bulldozer might have a 300-500 price tag. I will not paying more than 300 maybe some change for a CPU.
If that CPU is AM3 socket which is unknown to my understanding I can get away with what I have in mind for a New PC and update CPU 2 years from now 1 after it comes out and prices drop a bit. That being said I have decided to assemble my Old PC for now. I had to RMA on my old memory since I had one stick causing Blue Screen.

Quote:
i'd also grab a cheaper case,
I wish I found a cheaper case that meets the needs and specs "I am a bit picky on that part" for my WC Plan. But I do believe is a lot for that case I may have to do some shopping around to get a better deal on it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just upgrade. If you don't now you never will. You'll find yourself constantly chasing the "when is the next new thing out" bandwagon and waiting for the next series of everything. Don't wait until something new comes out, everything goes up in price.

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoTMaXPoWeR
View Post

Just upgrade. If you don't now you never will. You'll find yourself constantly chasing the "when is the next new thing out" bandwagon and waiting for the next series of everything. Don't wait until something new comes out, everything goes up in price.

i have to agree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts