Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sig rig desperately needs a GPU, the old 8800GTS went bad and I have been looking for one. I am a moderate gamer. I have decided on doing this as an upgrade path:

Now
-ATi HD5770

6 months
-Crossfire Motherboard, new platform (would pick AM3 Phenom II X4 if it was now)

Later on
-More HD5770s (Crossfire, Trifire, Quadfire...)

I think this sounds reasonable. This CPU overclocks well and I had it at 3.2GHz on a conservative OC, and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade that. The HD5770 attracted me because of a good price/performance ratio, great CF scaling, and DX11 for the future.

Now I was going to order the HD5770 until I saw an unused eVGA GTX275 for sale locally for $200. What should I do? I know the GTX275 is a good bit faster than the HD5770, but what about future? It won't be that scalable with SLI and it won't be able to play games in DX11. Also, for the future, won't the HD5770 reach GTX275 performance once drivers mature AND we compare DX11 vs. DX10 in the same game? What I mean is, with tesselations and all the other fancy DX11 stuff enabled, the quality won't have to be as high to look just as nice as the GTX275's output.

I was going to wait for GT300 to drop prices on the HD5870 and get that, but now that I'm surfing in 1024x768 on a Trident video card, this has to change and I can't wait.

Thanks for your commitment if you made it all the way down here

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Tri or Quad fire o a 5770 is stupid

I would go 5850 and OC to 5870 clock .

If you want i can get you a GTX 280 for 175 PM me.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you elaborate on why that's stupid? I'm not planning on doing it now, just one HD5770. That way I can get a second one cheap whenever the first one starts to lag in games and have the same performance as HD5850 for much less. Also, yhpm.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by money11465
View Post

Can you elaborate on why that's stupid? I'm not planning on doing it now, just one HD5770. That way I can get a second one cheap whenever the first one starts to lag in games and have the same performance as HD5850 for much less. Also, yhpm.

Those 5850's OC pretty good, and they can surpass the 5870 stock form what i read.

Now you can have abunch of weaker cards or abunch of stronger cards.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM
View Post

Those 5850's OC pretty good, and they can surpass the 5870 stock form what i read.

Now you can have abunch of weaker cards or abunch of stronger cards.

True, but as I am an occasional gamer I would rather spend $170 than $320 now, and whenever I want to CF the HD5770 will be much cheaper than a HD5850.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Having anything tri or quad sli/crossfire is stupid unless you have stupid amounts of money to spend on your rig. I'm guessing you don't or you'd be running a watercooled i7 or something by now.

FYI as a rule of thumb the second card will give about a 40-50% performance boost, third card around 20-25% and fourth card a further 10%. So as you can see beyond the second card the performance gains start to become quite marginal compared to the costs involved. Keep in mind that more cards also mean larger PSU, bigger case and pricey high end motherboards.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by money11465
View Post

True, but as I am an occasional gamer I would rather spend $170 than $320 now, and whenever I want to CF the HD5770 will be much cheaper than a HD5850.

True, V1 5770? or V2.

But i would never go Tri or quad with only 5770's.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymorosis View Post
Having anything tri or quad sli/crossfire is stupid unless you have stupid amounts of money to spend on your rig. I'm guessing you don't or you'd be running a watercooled i7 or something by now.

FYI as a rule of thumb the second card will give about a 40-50% performance boost, third card around 20-25% and fourth card a further 10%. So as you can see beyond the second card the performance gains start to become quite marginal compared to the costs involved. Keep in mind that more cards also mean larger PSU, bigger case and pricey high end motherboards.
No need to be sarcastic. There is, however, a need to read my post. This is for the eventual future when the HD5770 starts to show its age. Tri or quad is not a necessity, just a musing. Also, look at some of the benchmarks, the HD5770 CF actually has a 60-65% FPS increase and HD5770 CF3x gives something like an additional 30%. The scalability factor is amazing here, this is why I am considering even CFing later on rather than buying a new single card. Also, just to let you know, a 790FX motherboard with 4xPCIe can be had for $160.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM View Post
True, V1 5770? or V2.

But i would never go Tri or quad with only 5770's.
V1 of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts