Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My Deluxe/Gen3 Motherboard/i7 2600k system has recently become unstable with only 1 slot of RAM currently working. I'm thinking its time to upgrade.

I'm not quite caught up on new builds since I built my 2600k. But it looks like..

1. i7 6700K is the best single thread performance. Does it OC?
2. Should I be taking a look at the i7-5820K? Single threaded applications appear to be a bit slower. Can it OC?
3. Graphics wise, I have a GTX 980i. I may want to SLI in the future.
4. Should I be waiting for any upcoming CPUs?
5. Should I try and salvage my 2600k build?
6. Any socket issues I should worry about?

I'd like my new build to last 4+ years like my 2600k did.

Any advice is welcome!

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
It seems like dying motherboards are the cause of Sandy Upgrades. My PSU blew mine out in 2014.

1. Yes, the 6700K does OC, with 4.6 to 4.8 GHz being the most frequent ranges in the acceptable 24-7 volt category.
  2. Yes, I recommend looking at the 5820K. It will be about 10% slower clock for clock and maybe 100-200 MHz slower in the clockspeed, but you get 50% more cores and quad channel RAM, albeit a weaker IMC.
  3. That will not affect your decision. PCI-E x16 vs x8 has shown minimal gains.
  4. Skylake E is expected next year, and that would be the best option, but if your PC is dying, you might be "forced" to upgrade.
  5. If the CPU is fine, you could buy a used motherboard. This would save on the cost of buying new RAM too (you have to buy DDR4 for Skylake). Look for a used P67, z68, or Z77 board.
  6. There have been some complaints about the PCB in Skylake CPUs bending due to the thinner substrates. The other is that for intensive OC, you will want to delid.

There isn't anything else I can think of.

I'll need more details to tell you what the best option is. Are you just gaming or do you intend to do something that will use the extra cores?

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Wait for Broadwell E or AMD zen
This. If it is so unusable you cannot do anything, just get a cheap 1155 mobo to get you by. Even stock, a 2600k is mighty muscle, and on a single 980 Ti you can play pretty much anything unless you're on 4K.

• Rep+
Reactions: Intangible

·
Premium Member
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Wait for Broadwell E or AMD zen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbomba View Post

This. If it is so unusable you cannot do anything, just get a cheap 1155 mobo to get you by. Even stock, a 2600k is mighty muscle, and on a single 980 Ti you can play pretty much anything unless you're on 4K.
^These before you sli 2 980Tis. Oc the cpu to at least 4.5GHz. Get a cheap Z77 board.

SLI those gpus, then get a X99.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm mostly gaming, but run a couple servers on my machine. I rarely do video encoding. I sometimes use some virtual servers but rarely leave them up 24/7. I usually have like 5-10 applications open and do a lot of multitasking. But I think 8 cores vs core 12 it's not really a big deal.

I'm absolutely going to jump into Occulus and other VR stuff which I heard can have pretty crazy requirements. Not sure if its on the CPU or GPU side.

When is Broadwell E supposed to come out? Also, I don't know much about Broadwell vs Skylake. Why would Broadwell be better then Skylake? Isn't it an older CPU?

And... my computer has been stable for 24 hours after going to 1 stick. It's a 4GB stick of ram. Hell, I could maybe even buy an 8-16GB stick and not have to upgrade my motherboard. I didn't consider just replacing my mother board either. Hmmmm.

So... here's what I'm thinking.

1. Buy 8-16GB stick (depending on cost, 1 or 2)
2. Replace my motherboard with hopefully a working used one.
3. Wait for Broadwell-E
4. Grab a 6700K or 5820K

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post

I'm mostly gaming, but run a couple servers on my machine. I rarely do video encoding. I sometimes use some virtual servers but rarely leave them up 24/7. I usually have like 5-10 applications open and do a lot of multitasking. But I think 8 cores vs core 12 it's not really a big deal.
Proabbly,Zen will have 16 or 32 Core models
Quote:
I'm absolutely going to jump into Occulus and other VR stuff which I heard can have pretty crazy requirements. Not sure if its on the CPU or GPU side.
GPU side is mostly what have the requirements
Quote:
When is Broadwell E supposed to come out? Also, I don't know much about Broadwell vs Skylake. Why would Broadwell be better then Skylake? Isn't it an older CPU?
H2/H1 2016 or Q1 2016, Broadwell-E has 6 cores and a closer IPC to SKL than HWL
Quote:
And... my computer has been stable for 24 hours after going to 1 stick. It's a 4GB stick of ram. Hell, I could maybe even buy an 8-16GB stick and not have to upgrade my motherboard. I didn't consider just replacing my mother board either. Hmmmm.
used lga1155 mobo are quite cheap nowadays
Quote:

3. Wait for Broadwell-E
4. Grab a 6700K or 5820K
on option 3, zen could be a possibility if you cna wait unitl q4 2016

·
Registered
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post

3. Wait for Broadwell-E
4. Grab a 6700K or 5820K
If you're contented with the performance of your processor for now, just replace the mobo with a used one & get some high frequency ram. You have a great processor & gpu for gaming, no significant increase by upgrading to skylake. This is the more budget friendly option imo.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great. Thanks for the advice.

On a random side note... Seeing as how my motherboard was behaving oddly, I decided I would try a second stick in a NON-pairing configuration. I have a 4GB stick in slot 1 and a 4GB stick in slot 4. And magically it worked... so bizarre! (They both failed in slots 1/3, 1/2, 2/4, 3/4)

I think I may be able to get some mileage yet out of my MB!

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's great it worked in another slot combo but I'd still look at getting a replacement for stability, you wouldn't want a failure in the middle of doing something important. Sure you'll get good deals on a proper used board.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniboi82 View Post

That's great it worked in another slot combo but I'd still look at getting a replacement for stability, you wouldn't want a failure in the middle of doing something important. Sure you'll get good deals on a proper used board.
Been 5 days of stability! And I hammered it with XCom2 for a good while. So bizarre! I figure I'll just not touch it for awhile. I have my laptop as back in case anything super time pressing occurs.

Thanks everyone! See you when broadwell comes out!!

·
Enthusiast Gamer
3,829 Posts
Keep in mind PCIe lane availability. So if you wanted to do SLI and have a M.2 Ultra you're better off with the 5820K. If you don't care about M.2 then the 6700K will be fine for SLI. nVidia doesn't allow SLI on motherboards with a 4x slot

6700K 16 PCIe Lanes total 8x8x SLI with no lanes leftover for anything else.
5820K 28 PCIe Lanes total 16x8x SLI with 4x lanes left over for M.2 Ultra

Unless you get a motherboard with a PLX chip. PLX chips add 16x lanes per chip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts