Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing the Phenom II x4 965 chip along with a DDR3 Mobo and RAM. My main issue at this point is I have an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium and from what I understand, once it's activated it's permanently attached to the motherboard it was installed on.

Any way around this? I refuse to have an unlicensed copy of my operating system so that's not an option.

Another question I have is if I do purchase the 965 with mobo and ram, how hard/easy would it be to unload my current setup? How much could I get out of it? (Phenom II x2 555 Unlocked/tested for over 24 hours using p95) Asus M4A785-M motherboard and 4 GB DDR2 800 RAM, possibly trying to included the Windows 7 I have since I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do but buy another copy.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
I am afraid that you HAVE to get a new OEM Windows licenses unless you would like to keep your current mobo. You could get Windows 7 Pro for $65 if you have a valid .edu email account .

You will only find an advantage with a quadcore upgrade in multithreaded apps (see list) other than that it's more redundant IMHO.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm also looking at upgrading the GPU to a Sapphire 5770 Vapor X ($175 on newegg). I definitely want to upgrade the motherboard and ram to DDR3, the CPU can wait since technically I have a stable quad core now.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy0828
View Post

I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm also looking at upgrading the GPU to a Sapphire 5770 Vapor X ($175 on newegg). I definitely want to upgrade the motherboard and ram to DDR3, the CPU can wait since technically I have a stable quad core now.

Upgrading to Radeon HD 5770 would be nice. However I don't see any point in upgrading the RAM, Mobo, CPU. I suggest that you wait at least for the next generation/installment of Phenoms.

edit: how about purchasing another WD Blue 500GB HDD and go for a RAID0 config? I think this will dramatically increase performance in general.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have ready some reviews on the windows 7 OEM on newegg and the reviewers say that if you call microsoft and tell them you upgraded you mobo, they will allow you to reactivate windows. I dont know this first hand, but you may want to look into that.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigrobbyrob View Post
I have ready some reviews on the windows 7 OEM on newegg and the reviewers say that if you call microsoft and tell them you upgraded you mobo, they will allow you to reactivate windows. I don't know this first hand, but you may want to look into that.
Yeah this is true, I replaced my mobo and windows 7 said that I had to activate it again, so when i re-entered my product key it said that it was incorrect, the solution is to follow the phone activation steps, cost me and arm and a leg on the phone bill, but way less than buying a new key!

This also happens when you replace the cpu, win 7 registers the components to the key, so if you make any major hardware changes windows 7 will notice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts