Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided that by the end of the year, I'm going to get myself an upgrade to hold me over 'til next year. I planned on upgrading the CPU, the PSU, CPU cooling, and add more space. As far as CPU goes, the only limitation is that my board is AM2, not AM2+. Also, I might (probably not, but still possible) get a new monitor that I could just reuse/pair up with a new one when I build a new rig late next year.

I figured:
AMD Athlon 6000+ 3.0GHz Windsor 89W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103233

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003

Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319

And possible, but not probable:

Acer X193W+BD 19" 1680x1050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009127

or

Acer X223Wbd 22" 1680x1050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009145

Well? Sound good? Suggestions or angry demands would be useful and fully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Get the 22". Since its a upgrade 6000 X2 looks good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Get the 22". Since its a upgrade 6000 X2 looks good.

Okay, thanks. Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Micam93, how much of an OC were you able to achieve with your current 4200+?

I am a bit surprised by the price on that Acer X223Wbd 22" screen. Nice deal. Good pick on the power supply. I believe the 620HX is manufactured by Seasonic which is well known for quality and reliability.

Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r
View Post

Micam93, how much of an OC were you able to achieve with your current 4200+?

I am a bit surprised by the price on that Acer X223Wbd 22" screen. Nice deal. Good pick on the power supply. I believe the 620HX is manufactured by Seasonic which is well known for quality and reliability.

Good luck

Well, my mobo isn't great for overclocking, heh, but I've been able to start up at 2.7GHz, but temps of 65C+ at load (if I remember correctly), and I haven't tried beyond that, also basically any OC heats it up quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by c
View Post

Well, my mobo isn't great for overclocking, heh, but I've been able to start up at 2.7GHz, but temps of 65C+ at load (if I remember correctly), and I haven't tried beyond that, also basically any OC heats it up quite a bit.

Micam93, you could possibly save some money by just going with a new PSU and an aftermarket cooler. I'm assuming you're running the stock cooler which explains for the high full load temps? The Xigmatek 1283 is an excellent cooler and it should help you out quite a bit if you really need to push that 4200+. To be honest I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the two processors. Just a thought...

Good luck with your purchases

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r
View Post

Micam93, you could possibly save some money by just going with a new PSU and an aftermarket cooler. I'm assuming you're running the stock cooler which explains for the high full load temps? The Xigmatek 1283 is an excellent cooler and it should help you out quite a bit if you really need to push that 4200+. To be honest I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the two processors. Just a thought...

Good luck with your purchases

Yeah, that's what I thought too, and I probably will just go with that, if my mobo won't be much of a limiting factor. If it will, however, I'll want to go with something with higher stock clocks. So far, my overclocking experiences with this board have been iffy. Also, I might still get the new PSU, if mine can't support the extra HD and any other peripherals, but I'll try those first and then see if I'd need it.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Micam93
View Post

Yeah, that's what I thought too, and I probably will just go with that, if my mobo won't be much of a limiting factor. If it will, however, I'll want to go with something with higher stock clocks. So far, my overclocking experiences with this board have been iffy. Also, I might still get the new PSU, if mine can't support the extra HD and any other peripherals, but I'll try those first and then see if I'd need it.

Micam93, I'd recommend picking up a new PSU regardless of any situation. Running a "generic" power supply can be bad news later on. Just out of curiosity but what brand/model is it?

Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Micam93, I'd recommend picking up a new PSU regardless of any situation. Running a "generic" power supply can be bad news later on. Just out of curiosity but what brand/model is it?

Good luck
All it says is "ATX Switching Power Supply", but the model number is PSIV-450-2. A good ol' Googling from my friend reveals that it is a Meanwell PSU, and the picture in a PDF does look very similar to mine, almost exact.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Micam93
View Post

All it says is "ATX Switching Power Supply", but the model number is PSIV-450-2. A good ol' Googling from my friend reveals that it is a Meanwell PSU, and the picture in a PDF does look very similar to mine, almost exact.

Micam93, thanks for the info. I was only able to find the 350 watt model under that model number you gave me.

If anything, please change out that power supply before you add any more components. We definitely don't want that power supply to become fully loaded. Typically generic models do not carry the type of reliability and quality that most of the aftermarket power supplies have.

Good luck buddy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts