Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a new gpu. Reasons are:

1. My gtx 275 seems to be having temp problems lately where its been hitting 105c when playing heavy games like Crysis. Could be attributed to heavy dust buildup since I haven't actually thoroughly cleaned the thing yet since I bought it (other than wiping off dirt buildup from its fan and blowing off dust).
2. I usually skip 1 or 2 generations before changing GPUs (275 > 4xx > 5xx > ??)
3. A newer GPU could prove to be a nice compliment for my new CPU

I was always an nvidia guy but now wanted to try whatever the competition offered. I always had my eye on an unlocked 6950 since price wise the 6950s are the highest I can afford but I'm pretty much a virgin when it comes to amd cards. Any other suggestion that will be a good upgrade from my 275 and play well at 1920x1080 (its the highest resolution I see myself using for a few more years) without spending too much?

Or should I just do something about my temps and again wait for the next batch of GPUs to come out? Sometimes I get the feeling that its just too hot here in the Philippines because even my cpu idles at 40+ and peaks out at the 70s mark with Prime even when using the v6

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
You could try to do something about your temps, but nothing changes the fact a 6950 is a much more capable card than the 275. Around that price range Nvidia has the 560Ti, but this one has only 1.2GB of graphics RAM. At 1080P it doesn't really matter though (for now). A cheaper but also very good option for 1080P is the 6950 1GB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts