Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth going LGA1155 over LGA1366 I have in my sig rig?

I do not care about the Intel HD option on the chip at all. Looking at newegg I see I can get a stock 3.4 Ghz Sandy Bridge CPU for 319.99. However that would also require I get a new MB. Is that even worth it or should I just update to a fast LGA1366 CPU? I have been extremely happy with my CPU so if you don't even think its a good idea to even touch my CPU/MB combo then I think I will just toss a ton more RAM in there and call it a day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Gaming rig?

Consider a new GPU if so? 7970 would be a nice upgrade over your 5970.

A 1155 rig would be a bit of a side grade unless you went for the 2600K/2700K even then I don't think it's really worth it. I'd wait for Ivy in your position or go with Sandy E if you really want more performance now.

If you want something to fiddle with, have you thought about water cooling?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice all I will keep what I have CPU/MB wise.

As far as the video card is concerned I asked in the ATI forums and from what I was told there the 7970 is that much faster than my 5970.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You'll see an all-round increase in performance just from an overclocking on your rig, and your GPU's will perform better.. Concentrate on that; learning how to do it properly, what you'll need to keep it all cool etc.

If after you've done that, your performance still isn't good enough, then you're probably best going for at least a 7970, probably wait for a really well overclocked, well cooling aftermarket card.

Sandy Bridge will give you performance increases, but not enough to warrant it given how soon ivy bridge is coming. That will be a worthwhile upgrade if the increases are as projected by Intel.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post

You'll see an all-round increase in performance just from an overclocking on your rig, and your GPU's will perform better.. Concentrate on that; learning how to do it properly, what you'll need to keep it all cool etc.
If after you've done that, your performance still isn't good enough, then you're probably best going for at least a 7970, probably wait for a really well overclocked, well cooling aftermarket card.
Sandy Bridge will give you performance increases, but not enough to warrant it given how soon ivy bridge is coming. That will be a worthwhile upgrade if the increases are as projected by Intel.
Your right but I haven't even read on it in so long I do not feel anything I know is still relevant. It seems to be an artform. I do not know if I still have the skill to even try. Currently and guys don't kill me. Everything I have is stock. I just do not know if I still have the skills.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Take the time to search properly, invest a week of researching in your spare time before you even touch anything to try and grasp it properly in theory first. Then give it a go, but don't shoot for the stars - pick a reasonable target and head there.

In retrospect, once you're comfortable with it all, you will wonder how you ever did without it. From the looks of things, at most you will need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Throw down about US$60-100 and find your CPU around 4ghz+, giving you more than sandy bridge stock performance and your GPU's running more efficiently/effectively. You will look back on the process and realize it as 10% a balancing game of a few settings in a bios screen, and 90% taking your time to read and do it properly.

Find a guide for your motherboard is probably best, as the steps will be basically the same with any i7 CPU.

Check temps with Hardware Monitor, CPU information in CPU-Z, test for stability in Intel Burntest and Prime95 Blend. Follow the steps in a guide you find to increase the bclk incrementally. When you reach instability, up one of the few voltage options (depending on the situation), and then repeat until you hit your mark. Re-test for longer-term stability (8+ hours) once you think you've settled ....... profit!!!

It's really that simple.

• Rep+
Reactions: Saancho

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Take the time to search properly, invest a week of researching in your spare time before you even touch anything to try and grasp it properly in theory first. Then give it a go, but don't shoot for the stars - pick a reasonable target and head there.
In retrospect, once you're comfortable with it all, you will wonder how you ever did without it. From the looks of things, at most you will need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Throw down about US$60-100 and find your CPU around 4ghz+, giving you more than sandy bridge stock performance and your GPU's running more efficiently/effectively. You will look back on the process and realize it as 10% a balancing game of a few settings in a bios screen, and 90% taking your time to read and do it properly.
Find a guide for your motherboard is probably best, as the steps will be basically the same with any i7 CPU.
Check temps with Hardware Monitor, CPU information in CPU-Z, test for stability in Intel Burntest and Prime95 Blend. Follow the steps in a guide you find to increase the bclk incrementally. When you reach instability, up one of the few voltage options (depending on the situation), and then repeat until you hit your mark. Re-test for longer-term stability (8+ hours) once you think you've settled ....... profit!!!
It's really that simple.
Aftermarket Cooler is already in place sir Corsair H70 or 60 I can't remember. I used to rock a TRUE but for some reason I cannot remember I switched. Now I have no idea where my TRUE Is. True story.

As far as thats as easy as it is. I would not say its easy so much. I remember when I did it last I could not find a guide and I was just kind of flying solo. I did use Prime95 on Blend for 24 hours to see if I saw any errors before I deemed it stable. Some of it is coming back to me as I read your suggestions but man I have to admit I am scared all over again like the last time. Heck to give you a frame of when I was really overclocking it was the Q6600 which I ended up giving to a friend.

Anyways you guys rock and thanks for all the suggestions maybe I will go for the OC and see.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Try these on.

Short-cut routes to O/C, and you might want/need to mess with them a little, but easy enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyHVGmyjQo

More detailed explanation of a quick overclock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wWC7XA8Mtk

More detailed again (good read, this will be a big help):
http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz/0_20

Settings and motherboard club (for asking for help):
http://www.overclock.net/t/662236/the-asus-p6x58d-premium-e-thread/0_20#post_8378283

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Try these on.
Short-cut routes to O/C, and you might want/need to mess with them a little, but easy enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyHVGmyjQo
More detailed explanation of a quick overclock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wWC7XA8Mtk
More detailed again (good read, this will be a big help):
http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz/0_20
Settings and motherboard club (for asking for help):
http://www.overclock.net/t/662236/the-asus-p6x58d-premium-e-thread/0_20#post_8378283
Sir first off thank you again. I will go ahead and read up. You did a lot of work gathering information and putting it in one conveniant place for me. I will not let that work go for nothing. I am at work right now going through these links reading. I want to say thank you and I really appreciate the time you invested in this. It will not go to waste.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpel View Post

Sir first off thank you again. I will go ahead and read up. You did a lot of work gathering information and putting it in one conveniant place for me. I will not let that work go for nothing. I am at work right now going through these links reading. I want to say thank you and I really appreciate the time you invested in this. It will not go to waste.
Not a problem my friend; I'm glad to help, and more glad at the thought of your rig working optimally. Once you've done your CPU and RAM, you should look at overclocking your 5970 too. You might be able to stretch a little extra out of that too. Best of luck, and be sure to stay in close contact with us here for more help
smile.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts