Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I put this rig together back in April or so (see signature).

After investing about $4,000 in it all said and done, I'm increasingly annoyed at the fact that while the GTX 580 (especially in SLI) has the capacity to wreck literally any game you throw at it, I read everywhere that games are increasingly breaking the 1.5GB barrier, even on a single monitor, like I have.

I didn't put thousands of dollars into this machine to play at sub-1080p resolutions or to throttle back graphical settings.

Although I'm yet to experience any problems whatsoever playing even Crysis 2, Witcher 2 and the like maxed out, I'm worried that with the release of Skyrim, BF3, etc., I'm going to be looking at unacceptable framerate drops from my usual 80+ down to like 15FPS every 5 minutes because the cards run out of available vram. Those bloody 3GB cards weren't even available when I built my rig. I feel totally betrayed!

So, I'm at the point where I'm considering selling my two Asus GTX 580 reference cards and buying two EVGA (ew, blue) 3GBers. However, Kepler seems right around the corner... (Next 6-9 months)

Should I go for the 3GB GTX 580s and skip Kepler, or keep my current and jump on the Kepler wagon?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
That is easy, kepler, or when the 580s sell cheap get two more lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
id prob wait it out man, if you havent had any issues yet..... well you just answered your own question
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You won't have any issues at 1200p. I hit the Vram limit on 570's at that res (to no effect at all on FPS), never hit 1.5GB on the 580's. 3GB is just not necessary at that res, and you feeling like it might be just speaks to the power of internet rumors.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What the rest of the people said in this thread. I wouldnt upgrade until you actually see those dips so that you can current upgrades.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49;15268381
You won't have any issues at 1200p. I hit the Vram limit on 570's at that res (to no effect at all on FPS), never hit 1.5GB on the 580's. 3GB is just not necessary at that res, and you feeling like it might be just speaks to the power of internet rumors.
God yes absolutely. Googling questions about computer parts causes more paranoia than Googling medical symptoms. It's unreal, everyone thinks they're an electrical engineer haha.

Thanks guys, I'll stick with my 1.5GBers I think.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
At this point in the 500 series lifetime cycle, the tradeoff of even side-grading to the 3GB wouldn't be worth the time and effort anyway. Even if you sold your cards, chances are unlikely that you would get back exactly what you spent, so you'd be spending even more just to have more VRAM that may never be put to good use.

By the time games regularly, and actually, exceed the VRAM limits of your card, the core itself wouldn't be able to maintain good performance for maximum settings anyway.

The only time to actually worry about poor performance is when you're experiencing it first hand. Otherwise, you're just worrying yourself to premature baldness.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well if it makes you feel any better I just ordered 2 3gb gtx 580 classified hydrocoppers. Kepler wont be available to be in your hands for like another 6 months or whatever and Battlefield 3 drops in 2 weeks. But I game at 5760X1080 so the VRAM will definitely help in my case.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0MEG4TR0N
View Post

well if it makes you feel any better I just ordered 2 3gb gtx 580 classified hydrocoppers. Kepler wont be available to be in your hands for like another 6 months or whatever and Battlefield 3 drops in 2 weeks. But I game at 5760X1080 so the VRAM will definitely help in my case.

How would that make him feel any better?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0MEG4TR0N
View Post

it would make him feel better if you sent them to his house, otherwise i dunno how this is helping lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
1.5Gb GDRR5 is painfull trust me i know, lol my cards do work very hard but i wish i had more vram so i could get just a little more AF.

In every game i try to find the limit and just sit them on 1450Mb lol. At my res (5760x1080) its all so easy to eat up that Vram

And some of us are electrical engineers you got a problem with that?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you wait for Kelper (which will be probably pushed back) then they will just talk about the next best thing coming out, Maxwell. The way I see: if you can benefit from an upgrade, then do it. Never wait for the "next best thing" especially if it is at least 6 months away. I say upgrade now or wait for Kelper and get the 580s when their prices drop.

I have a 570 with 1.25gb of vram and I was thinking about getting SLI but soon realized BF3 beta required more vram than I would like. I am now looking at 2x 580s 3GB. I play on one screen too... but I like to overkill stuff.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Since you already have the GTX 580 maybe stay and wait till BF3 comes out?

But yeah the Vram usage worried me too, since it maxed out my GTX 570 vram. I wanted to step up to a GTX 580 and decided to go with the 3GB since kepler is far from finished then they will release the lower end GPU's first then tha high end ones.

I say wait and see how it performs, went to the 3GB if im spending this much why not an extra $100 and be more comfortable with my purchase.

I am worrying I might need a second one since the ultra wasn't really ultra in BF3 beta.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
get the 3GB 580's now
nvidia is gonna do a bottom-top release method so don't expect the high end 600 series until for some time, and more time until manufacturer's start cranking really good high end cards
even the top bottom method it was still a good while before really really good high end cards were out

·
Registered
416 Posts
The cards for Kepler haven't even been anounced. We're running off like 9 month rumors here.

I went with two 580 Xtremes back in June and I'm very happy with them. I currently run 1080p, but I was using a 30" monitor for a couple weeks before looking for something else.

I run my games the highest I can including all mods and textures I can find. i spend the premium for that safety.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crest
View Post

The cards for Kepler haven't even been anounced. We're running off like 9 month rumors here.

I went with two 580 Xtremes back in June and I'm very happy with them. I currently run 1080p, but I was using a 30" monitor for a couple weeks before looking for something else.

I run my games the highest I can including all mods and textures I can find. i spend the premium for that safety.

Question....Are you SirCrest from youtube? If so, just wanted to say that I'm a fan of your vidoes...Also, I think I'm going to go the Xtreme route. These classifieds run a tad bit too hot and loud for my comfort. I still have my 570 TFIII's I'm trying to sell, I'll just use those until I swap these 580's out...If anyone is looking for an upgrade I have an ad up on Amazon for a couple of 570 TF:III's. I'm willing to negotiate and adjust the price if you send me a pm.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-Power/dp/B004XVMAKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318525419&sr=8-1 http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-Power/dp/B004XVMAKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318525419&sr=8-1

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've decided I'm going to be holding on to my reference 580's, and upgrading to the 680 whenever she rears her head. I'll be wanting that card anyway, so I may as well save my money and wait it out. If I suffer any kind of performance issues with my 1.5GBers it certainly won't be game-breaking I don't imagine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RawFoodPhil
View Post

Question....Are you SirCrest from youtube? If so, just wanted to say that I'm a fan of your vidoes...Also, I think I'm going to go the Xtreme route. These classifieds run a tad bit too hot and loud for my comfort. I still have my 570 TFIII's I'm trying to sell, I'll just use those until I swap these 580's out...If anyone is looking for an upgrade I have an ad up on Amazon for a couple of 570 TF:III's. I'm willing to negotiate and adjust the price if you send me a pm.

Link:http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N570GTX-Tw...8525419&sr=8-1

Haha, yea I am infact. That's awesome that you knew me. How did you find out about my stuff if I may ask?

·
Banned
504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crest
View Post

Haha, yea I am infact. That's awesome that you knew me. How did you find out about my stuff if I may ask?

while researching parts for my new build, I did a search for 580 lightning xtreme and your unboxing vid came up. After that I subscribed and started watching your metro 2033 series. You have some pretty cool play through videos. I hope you do a series for the BF3 single player mode.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks and yes I will. Currently I'm too busy with school and work to upload much unfortunately.

That 580 unboxing was the first I'd ever done so in the future I hope to have a different camera and edit differently.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts