Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently have a 965BE OC to 4.0 might be able to get a little higher with my Phanteks cooler. Neweeg has the 8350 on sale right now. Would it be worth the upgrade to it? even with OC'ing it?

Mainly used for games such has GW2, LoL, Diablo 3 and some other games.

Thanks,
Zack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Depends what your budget is. The 8320/8350 (same chip, 8350 is just a factory OC) will massively outperform your CPU, but remember that you will need a new motherboard to go with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Here is a little anecdote, I'm not sure if it will completely fit your situation, but at least will give you and others something to think about in trying to find the best path for you.

I just went from 965 BE OC'd to 3.8 to an 8350 OC'd to 4.8 (video card and memory stayed the same) and the difference was night and day. Even at 4.0 on the 8350, it was still night and day. Games that I could only turn the setting up to med-high and keep 60+ fps, now are maxed out with 60+ fps. Farcry 3, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light to name a few.

BUT

I also upgraded my motherboard MSI nf980-g65 to a Crosshair V Formula Z. I know that had a lot to do with it. You and I also have similarly performing video cards. generic performance benchmarks puts the 8350 at almost TWICE the processing power.

So, take all that with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I will also agree with Yorkston, You will likely need a new mobo. MSI AM3+ motherboards are iffy, especially when it comes to overclocking. They have shoddy VRM's. The only way I was able to OC my board was because I upgraded the VRM cooling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

Gives me something else to think about I was hoping to use the same motherboard.

And suggestions on a decent board?

Probably get shunned for saying this might consider going i5 4670k than if my current motherboard is now good.

Resolution is only 1680x1050

Zack
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
Well if I were you,I would search a used i5 2500k/i5 3570k/i5 4670k(new)/i7 2600k/3770k(better with i7 or i5 haswell-k) and a z68/z77(used)/z87(new) motherboard with more than 6power phases(vrm)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
For AMD, it looks like newegg has a combo with the 8350 and Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Asus boards are generally solid for overclocking.

For the 4670k, the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H is a great board and combo'd with the CPU, or if you want something more expensive you could go with a sabretooth/maximus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess my next question is how much longer will AM3+ be around versus 1150. Probably a whole new topic within its self.

May just go with the 8350 for now see what my motherboard can handle and upgrade from there. still have 24 hours left on the sale to pull the trigger on it.

8350 + mb = around $300

4670k + mb = close to $400
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
It will be hard to tell since we dont know if programmers will optimize/support for vishera cpu in the future.and we dont know if 4 cores will suffice for new games,so it`s a better bet to upgrade with the hardware we have atm(at least on gaming but on application the trend is support to multithreads/cores)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

It will be hard to tell since we dont know if programmers will optimize/support for vishera cpu in the future.and we dont know if 4 cores will suffice for new games,so it`s a better bet to upgrade with the hardware we have atm(at least on gaming but on application the trend is support to multithreads/cores)
It's a pretty safe bet if you ask me. The consoles all have weak 8 core CPUs. Anyone who makes a cross platform game that depends on single threaded performance (or even just 4 cores) is going to have a lousy game that disappoints gamers. 1.6ghz Jaguar core by itself is not so strong. Even the A4-5000 I'm on sort of needs 4 cores to be decent, I wouldn't have taken anything with less than 4 Jaguar cores.

As usual, I'm going to herald the fact that an FX 8350 is a lot more fun to overclock. 4670k overclocking will basically be raising the multiplier, bumping the voltage a tiny bit, and then looking for the Great Wall of Intel where 22nm Intel chips just fall on their face and can't do anything more without tons of voltage
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post

It's a pretty safe bet if you ask me. The consoles all have weak 8 core CPUs. Anyone who makes a cross platform game that depends on single threaded performance (or even just 4 cores) is going to have a lousy game that disappoints gamers. 1.6ghz Jaguar core by itself is not so strong. Even the A4-5000 I'm on sort of needs 4 cores to be decent, I wouldn't have taken anything with less than 4 Jaguar cores.

As usual, I'm going to herald the fact that an FX 8350 is a lot more fun to overclock. 4670k overclocking will basically be raising the multiplier, bumping the voltage a tiny bit, and then looking for the Great Wall of Intel where 22nm Intel chips just fall on their face and can't do anything more without tons of voltage
if you talk about the temperature and high vcore it has more todo with the TIM on the die and the spacing between the TIM and the IHS,instead a solder ihs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well pulled the trigger on the FX-8350 this morning.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Well update with results once I get it going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub5runner View Post

Well pulled the trigger on the FX-8350 this morning.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Well update with results once I get it going.
If you move forward with the 8350 on that MSI motherboard, BE CAREFUL. I would honestly invest in a thermal gun so you can monitor VRM temps ESPECIALLY if you plan on overclocking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

If you move forward with the 8350 on that MSI motherboard, BE CAREFUL. I would honestly invest in a thermal gun so you can monitor VRM temps ESPECIALLY if you plan on overclocking.
Would the manual have safe temps or somewhere I can read about them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

If you're only going for a mild Overclock (~4.5Ghz) then that board will do fine for that.
I think I can agree with this. I checked the VRM database for your board and it appears that it should be ok, but I would still keep an eye on VRM temps. You can get thermal limits by sending an email to MSI support, just don't tell them you're overclocking. If you do overclock, make sure to get the lowest stable voltage on the vCore that you can. This will help temps stay low.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database/0_100
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

Depends what your budget is. The 8320/8350 (same chip, 8350 is just a factory OC)
Not really. The 8350 is just a better binned chip than an 8320. A factory OC is a chip that ships from the factory very close to its thermal limits, and the 8350 is a long way from that. The 9590 is a factory overclock.
Quote:
It will be hard to tell since we dont know if programmers will optimize/support for vishera cpu in the future
They already are. Supporting Vishera is no more difficult than supporting HT on an Intel CPU. The Intel HT code paths work just as well for AMD FX processors.

We're already seeing more and more multi-core support in software, and we're going to see more in the future, especially for gaming. Modern consoles are running on AMD octo-core chips, and games will not going to have any problem being ported to PC and run on a much faster Vishera chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Completely agree, 8x threads do make a lot of difference especially when overclocked. If you check the recent figures of testing done by AMD for their Thief Mantle drivers it indicates that in DX11 mode 4670k gives higher frame-rates but when switching to mantle FX-8350 is the fastest of all which gives ~70 fps at 1080p each and every settings maxed out on an R9 290X ref: link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone. Making me feel much better about my purchase. When I built this rig at first was when vishera first came out and all the reviews were saying wasn't much improvement over an OC phenom.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'll more than likely get a new mb as well to save the trouble of doing it later on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub5runner View Post

Thanks everyone. Making me feel much better about my purchase. When I built this rig at first was when vishera first came out and all the reviews were saying wasn't much improvement over an OC phenom.
It depends. The single-core performance is about the same. Phenom II is quite a bit faster than a Bulldozer in single-core, but Piledriver pretty much pulled even. Older code tend to will be a little faster on Phenom, newer code written with newer assembly tools will favor Piledriver.

The most important thing is that software is taking more advantage of multi-core CPU's than it used to. The latest games and software like Vishera a lot more than benchmarks do, because they're being written to better utilize the resources it offers. I've yet to set a task in front of my FX-8350 that it couldn't plow through and snort at, even if I'm only running at stock. It will run 4.85 without a problem, but I usually leave it at 4.5 because it will run that speed on just 1.35v and use a lot less power. A lot of the people bashing AMD's big-core chips on the Internet have never actually owned one, but they're so 1337 because daddy bought them a 4670K and PCmark sez it pwns us AMD luzers.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top