Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully nobody reads this as another "should I upgrade to a SSD" thread.

I currently have an older Intel X25-M 120GB hard drive. Looking at the newer drives I see that there's been quite substantial increases to the speeds. I'm curious if anyone has any real world experience with upgrading an older SSD to a newer one and noticing any performance increases (not just benchmarking). I'm looking at upgrading to a Samsung 830 256GB. Below is a comparison of the speed ratings.

Intel X25-M 120GB
Sustained Sequential Read: up to 250MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: up to 100MB/s

Samsung 830 256GB
Max Sequential Read: up to 520 MB/s
Max Sequential Write: up to 400 MB/s

The increases look great on paper but would they really be noticeable?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Sequential performance is very NOT important... How often do you have to load a 100MB+ file into memory or to another storage system capable of keeping up?

It's the random performance that matters..... and you won't really notice a difference in common tasks.

·
Silicone Overload
696 Posts
I personally upgraded from a crucial m3 to a plextor m3 and I didn't really notice any change between the drives. The jump from a mechanical drive to a solid state drive is huge because of the random access time. You won't notice nearly as large of a jump from an old SSD to a new one. The only reason to get a new drive now is to get a much larger one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_b View Post

If you plan on spending that kind of money I'd look at this instead.
It's random performance is quite impressive.
Thanks for the links. I honestly didn't even look at the OCZ drives because they lost me as a potential customer awhile back when they started switching out the memory in their drives without documenting it anywhere and in turn screwed over all the customers. I'm sure some of you may remember that whole ordeal about a year or two ago? Have any of the customer service/reliability issues been fixed with OCZ? I haven't been impressed with them at all. Those numbers do look nice though.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input :) It's greatly appreciated
cheers.gif

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmaster88 View Post

Thanks for the links. I honestly didn't even look at the OCZ drives because they lost me as a potential customer awhile back when they started switching out the memory in their drives without documenting it anywhere and in turn screwed over all the customers. I'm sure some of you may remember that whole ordeal about a year or two ago? Have any of the customer service/reliability issues been fixed with OCZ? I haven't been impressed with them at all. Those numbers do look nice though.
Thanks everyone for the helpful input :) It's greatly appreciated
cheers.gif
Oh I do remember. I didn't use any of their drives until the Vertex 3, and didn't have a single problem with any of the ones I got. The reliability of the SF based drives like mine increased exponentially with FW updates, and most issues seem to be resolved with the newest release. The Indilinx controller in the Vertex 4 doesn't have most of the problems the SandForce did, and with the 1.5 FW it looks like most of the kinks have been ironed out.

·
Storage Nut
21,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm using an Intel 320 and an Intel 520 in my main system, while there is a difference in performance, it's not anything really that "interesting". SSD to SSD wont make you go wow!!! like HDD to SSD. Is it worth it? that's up to you. I personally would like to buy another 320 if the price difference is big enough from the 520, if not than another 520 it is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpYFoXZeRo View Post

I'm using an Intel 320 and an Intel 520 in my main system, while there is a difference in performance, it's not anything really that "interesting". SSD to SSD wont make you go wow!!! like HDD to SSD. Is it worth it? that's up to you. I personally would like to buy another 320 if the price difference is big enough from the 520, if not than another 520 it is.
I agree. I went from a 160GB intel G2 to a 256GB Samsung 830 and even though the Samsung is one of the fastest drives you can buy, in normal use I did not see any big differences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.