Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys/gals,

I am planning on purchasing a sapphire 5770 very soon as it is time to get rid of my 8600gt. I will be going with this model (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...D&body=REBATES). I will mainly use this for playing AVA (Alliance of Valiant Arms) on max setting at 1680x1050. For those of you who don't know, AVA is basically a free MMO-FPS (I'm not sure if I just made that up
) with good graphics. Anyways, I had a few questions that I had to confirm.

Firstly, I am using my Asus P5K motherboard which I'm assuming* is PCI-E 1.0 (I couldn't find out if it was 1.0 or 2.0 on Asus' website). However, I was told that it did not really matter as the performance difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is negligible with the 5770.

My other concern was size. Based on what I've read the VGA card is 8.175" long. If that's the case the card should fit fine but I'm not 100% sure if that number is accurate. I was also wondering if this card would interfere with the slot directly under the PCI-E or possibly the ram slots.

I have attached a few screenshots of my internal layout so that I could get your feedback on the sizing of the card. (Don't mind the dust I will be cleaning that once I get the new card, school has been intense). Also, I felt the need to attach pictures because the case I have is custom and so I wanted you guys to see what we're dealing with

Thank for all the help in advance!

·
Banned
994 Posts
I have 4 5770s that i upgraded from. However they are highend XFX reference cards.

They are not that long, only 8-9" just measure it from the slot

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawe
View Post

I have 4 5770s that i upgraded from. However they are highend XFX reference cards.

They are not that long, only 8-9" just measure it from the slot

This made me lol for some reason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on what I've measured it should be able to fit around 8-9". I'm also worried that it might touch the slot directly under the PCI-E.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update..I am pretty sure the 5770 will fit as some people with my mobo have been able to seat the 5770 properly. So, I'm probably going to be picking up the card tomorrow. Just to confirm..I am not losing anything from having a PCI-E x16 1.0 over PCI-E x16 2.0?

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wasbo View Post
I mean I could get that XFX one if it's really worth it...it's $15 more than the sapphire at tigerdirect (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...y=#ReviewStart). However, what's the large advantage of the XFX over the Sapphire? Cooling?
Lifetime warranty vs 3 years

Also that sapphire will not have voltage control and the XFX will. So if you plan to overclock the XFX is the one to get.

Buy from Newegg.ca. Tigerdirect SUCKS

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am not planning over overclocking it so basically it comes down to paying the extra money for the lifetime warranty. Also, newegg is a wonderful company to purchase from but I could get the card at a nearby tigerdirect and avoid shipping costs. What's so bad about tigerdirect anyway?

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wasbo
View Post

Well I am not planning over overclocking it so basically it comes down to paying the extra money for the lifetime warranty. Also, newegg is a wonderful company to purchase from but I could get the card at a nearby tigerdirect and avoid shipping costs. What's so bad about tigerdirect anyway?

Everyone says that then 2 weeks later post on here asking why won't my 5770 overclock very well. Spend the extra money.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
You should be fine. The 5770 is maybe an inch or 2 longer than your 8600GT. Along with that, it will work fine with PCIe 1.0 so your safe there as well. As long as it gets plenty of air flow, you will be in good shape.

That is one hell of an upgrade.

• Rep+
Reactions: wasbo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts