Overclock.net banner

Upgrade to Crossfire 5770's?

4156 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  o Baby Zeus
Hi all, new to this whole thing so i hope i'm in the right place.

So anyway, as i think you can see in my current pc i am using a gtx 260 OC, but since the ATI 5000 series have come out i'm thinking of changing. Was thinking of selling the 260OC and buying a 5770 and getting another 5770 for Christmas for Crossfire. I would buy another 260 and SLI them but my mobo only supports Crossfire, so here i am possibly converted to an ATI enthusiast. Another problem is that If i do crossfire apparently they will only run a x8.

My questions are:
a- Should I stick with what i've got?
b- Should I Crossfire 2 5770's
c- Can anyone tell me the difference of only having x8 and not x16 (not real sure)

Thanks in advance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I do not believe, from all of the statements and arguments on this site, that 8x will hinder a 5770 at all. Ive read that a 5870 has a 1% loss when running on an 8x, 4% on 4x, and 24% on 1x. You should really be fine. plus that CF setup with 5770's should get you similar performance as a 5870 minus the memory bandwidth. less money too. In my experience, as limited as it is I saw no jump in playable performance from my 260 Black Edition to my 5850, just sayin.
Hi, welcome to the forums!

An upgrade to HD5770 CrossFire from your GTX 260 should provide quite a sizable increase in framerates.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...review-test/16
See less See more
Thanks for such quick replies, I'm loving this site even more. I think i have been convinced to go with the crossfire 5770's unless anyone else can prove i shouldn't. On another note, anyone know how well these overclock? I've heard that they overclock really well because of something to do with being GDDR5, true or false?
Bump.
Well, these cards to overclock fairly well. I've seen people with 1013core and somewhere between 1300 and 1400 memory speed, which makes the effective speed between 5200 and 5600MHz. This is done with some voltage changes for the core, and also I've generally seen the higher clocks on the V1 coolers. These are the ones that kinda look like a batmobile and not the egg shaped cooler.

Also, I believe it is against the rules to bump your own thread in less than 24 hours. I realize you waited 12 Hours, just letting you know as I see you're new here.
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Thanks, sorry wasnt aware of the rules. Will happily obey. Is there some kind of post anywhere that i should read for such "rules"?
Thanks for the rest of the post though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Misso View Post
Thanks, sorry wasnt aware of the rules. Will happily obey. Is there some kind of post anywhere that i should read for such "rules"?
Thanks for the rest of the post though.
Why yes, there is!

OCN Rules

OCN Professionalism Initiative

And so I stay on topic: I would also suggest going crossfire 5770s... those things are little beasts!
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Well i have the same question, i will like to try with a 5770's crossfire but my dobut is, my PSU works fine and will be enought for my 1920x1080 on High settings?

How about the temps, in front of these pair i will have two Cooler master SickleFlow [email protected] RPM Blue LED, will be this enought to control the hot?
grab a 5850
the 5770's hype is a bit over with i think, spoke to several people that had dual 5770 configs and they were not to impressed by its performance.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
grab a 5850
the 5770's hype is a bit over with i think, spoke to several people that had dual 5770 configs and they were not to impressed by its performance.
But compared with a single 3870 ? my breake is my PSU, i want a Crossfire but my TX750 doesn't work with a 5870 CF!!! too much power consumption..
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by nguyhen4wd
View Post

But compared with a single 3870 ? my breake is my PSU, i want a Crossfire but my TX750 doesn't work with a 5870 CF!!! too much power consumption..

Lies.

Your TX750 would easily support it.

Hell, I'd be comfortable about it on a TX650.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Lies.

Your TX750 would easily support it.

Hell, I'd be comfortable about it on a TX650.

But in the Corsair's website says 5800 series minimun 850W
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
Why yes, there is!

OCN Rules

OCN Professionalism Initiative

And so I stay on topic: I would also suggest going crossfire 5770s... those things are little breasts!
Fixed.

In all seriousness, I'd go with a 5850 or 5870. That way you have room to CF in the future.
See less See more
CF 5770's would be a nice upgrade for you, but if you are wanting to play demanding games and want to futureproof you rig I would go for a 5850/5870 if you can afford it. You could then pick up another one at a later date as well.

But if you dont want to run the best games out there on max settings then 5770's would be perfect
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.