Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new "used" computer. It came with Win10 Home installed and Activated. I have always used the Pro version for the security, networking and remote access features. I looked around and it was going to cost me $139.00 Canadian to get the upgrade. I have read in numerous places that when you take the FREE update from Win7/8/8.1 to Win10 your current version determines your new version. So Win7 home gets you Win10 Home and Win7 Pro gets you Win7 Pro and so on. I also thought I had read somewhere that originally you had to do the update FROM an already installed version (Win7/8/8.1) - you could not update an already installed and activated Win10 version without buying the update from Microsoft. I am an incurable bargain shopper so I looked at the MS update path of $139.00 Canadian and an ebay "PRODUCT/ACTIVATION KEY" I could buy for a Win8.1 Pro version for $45 Canadian and I started "researching". I called MS Support and explained I already had Win10 home installed and activated but wanted to use a Product key from a Win8.1 pro version I had that had never been activated. i was told by the MS rep I HAD to start with an already installed and activated "Qualifying" product - ie...Win7/8/8.1 and then update to the appropriate "same version" win10 version, and if the home version, pay the $139.00 update fee to get the PRO version. I complained that I would have to re-install EVERYTHING - drivers, software, windows etc and she said "I am sorry but that is the way it is." I wasn't looking forward to THAT!!! I was pretty sure I had read somewhere quite a while back that at a certain point there had been so many complaints about this problem that MS was going to change it. It took me about an hour and a half of googling and reading but I did find the "How to" post. The post gives you a generic product key to enter in the "change product key" part of your windows installation. Your current activated version of windows10 HOME (only version I tried it on) then upgrades itself to the PRO version but is not activated. NOW you can use your Win7/8/8.1 Product Key to ACTIVATE your new Win10 Pro version, again by going to the "change product key" part of your windows installation.
A word of caution if you aren't familiar with eBay...BEFORE you buy from ANY seller check their reputation AND their length of time there. And don't be fooled, any reputation under 99% isn't that great,...especially if they are high volume sellers. I have been caught with sellers who had 100% reputation but had only been selling a "few" things for a few months and got scammed. Ebay now has a money back guarantee but who needs the hassle. The win8.1 Pro I bought was from a seller who had been selling for years, his rep was 99.6% and even had been selling these product keys for enough time for them to show up as valid in his feedback. I could have bought one for $30.00 but it was a new seller with very few items sold. Even this doesn't guarantee they will be good forever. Some sellers seem to have access to stuff they shouldn't and eventually MS catches on. I got caught with a MS Office 2013 that I picked up for $100US. It lasted about 7 months then suddenly it deactivated and turned out to be some sort of a scam. Too late for me to get a refund from eBay so I had to buy another copy.

So here's the link ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/upgrade-windows-10-pro
Look at the last one ...
Upgrade using a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro product key.
In case it gets removed here are the instructions...
Follow these steps to upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key:
1.Select the Start Start button icon button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
2.Select Change product key, and then enter this 25-character default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

It will take a few minutes as it updates/upgrades...
Don't forget you have to activate your new Win10 Pro with the appropriate Product Key.

CAUTION - The above product key will UPGRADE your device to Windows 10 Pro, but won't ACTIVATE it. You need a qualifying Product Key to activate the upgraded PRO version.

Enjoy!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts