Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I want to upgrade my system a little bit. I've had my 8600gt for a LONG time and it has been fun. Just one thing to point out, I don't game a whole lot (more of a light-casual gamer) so I was thinking of replacing the 8600 with a 6770 to play Diablo 3. I also game at 1680x1050. I know that a lot of people recommend the 6850 but as I mentioned I really don't game a whole lot and once I build my next pc in a year or so I'll get the "juicier" parts. Also, I want a new case (around $100 or less). The most important things for me are cable management and good air flow. I was thinking of either the HAF 922 or NZXT phantom 410. Thanks guys
cheers.gif

EDIT: I just realized I may be in the wrong section of the forums..oops

sapphire 6770

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=038670

HAF 922

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=023780

NZXT 410

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=044284

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leaning towards the 410 as well
smile.gif
And, is the 7770 worth the extra ~$25 over the 6770? Thanks again. +rep

Also, the Q6600 is at stock and the 7770 is PCIE 3.0 so I'm not sure how much performance I'm losing.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Get this 460 its a bit better and it's cheaper ($99). It just consumes more power. (7770 vs 460). The NZXT Phantom 410 better IMO. I've seen both cases IRL but it's just personal preference.

• Rep+
Reactions: Waleh

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that great suggestion! But, that 460 is discontinued and there is no more in stock at any location.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleh View Post

Thanks for that great suggestion! But, that 460 is discontinued and there is no more in stock at any location.
Derp get this one then. Great cusomer service from EVGA too
thumb.gif

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet..I'll look at it. Just one thing don't you think the 4xx are getting old now? But that bench against the 7770 was nice
biggrin.gif
+rep

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Canada so the prices are even more expensive
frown.gif
The 7770 is more in my price range but how much performance am I losing due to the stock q6600 and the lack of PCIE 3.0? +rep

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleh View Post

I live in Canada so the prices are even more expensive
frown.gif
The 7770 is more in my price range but how much performance am I losing due to the stock q6600 and the lack of PCIE 3.0? +rep
Both cards I listed were from Canadian retailers
tongue.gif

You should try and Overclock that chip. Otherwise you might have a little trouble in certain CPU intensive games. BF3 multiplayer and Skyrim are both demanding when it comes to computer hardware. PCIE 3.0 means nothing right now, even the new GPUs do not utilize enough bandwidth for it to matter.

If you can overclock your current CPU, that should hold you over until Haswell.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just worried that I'll screw up lol..it seems easier to OC a SB

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post

Or get a Radeon 6850, which is better than both the 6770 and the 7770.
Basically the same as the 460 performance wise go for which ever is cheaper

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

Basically the same as the 460 performance wise go for which ever is cheaper
I'm having trouble deciding between the 460 and 7770. The 460 is cheaper and has similar performance to the 7770 but the 7770 is newer.
wheee.gif

·
Registered
808 Posts
460 is a good midish range card for gaming. dont know much about the 7770 except its newer. i would vote go for the 460 just because the drivers are probably better seeing its been around for 2 years.

im not sure how demading graphics wise D3 is but i have a gtx460 and it plays BF3 on mostly high settings, with AA turned off just fine.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
someone actually posted that link which is why I still can't decide
biggrin.gif
. Maybe I'll go with the 460, Nvidia drivers have been nice to me even though the card is 2 gens old.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Take those HW compare graphs with some salt though. Personally I would choose lower heat production and power consumption for that price difference and go with the 7770. Those are the only two significant advantages though.

Could you squeeze the 6870/6850?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcook420 View Post

If you want to compare the cards go to http://www.hwcompare.com/11906/geforce-gtx-460-vs-radeon-hd-7770/
thumb.gif
Quote:
Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary at least a bit.
These are Theoretical benchmarks. Not the real deal. You should not use these when purchasing a card. Use http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12

1 - 20 of 22 Posts