2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

Just Reinstall OS you should be fine
You shouldn't have to do this.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you already update to latest BIOS there is nothing else you should do. It should be plug and play. Reinstalling OS is dumb move for something that simple

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah, no need to reinstall the OS for a simple cpu swap. If changing the motherboard and using a hard drive OS, then a clean format is recommended. But if using a SSD, even thats no longer needed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmee View Post

Yeah, no need to reinstall the OS for a simple cpu swap. If changing the motherboard and using a hard drive OS, then a clean format is recommended. But if using a SSD, even thats no longer needed.
There is no relation between formatting and OS installed on harddrive

I have changed to few platform without reinstalling OS, to simply change to new platform is as easy as removing the hard drive controller driver and change to generic Windows driver (among other driver like USB controller etc), then just swap the new motherboard in safe mode and wait for a while for all the new device to be installed. No reformat needed

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmm, it could very well be just an IDE issue. I tried that a long time ago and experienced sneaky corruption of my data, so ever since Ive played it safe and reformatted whenever changing motherboards. Except for this time on a SSD.
smile.gif

·
I fix Stuff
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmee View Post

Hmm, it could very well be just an IDE issue. I tried that a long time ago and experienced sneaky corruption of my data, so ever since Ive played it safe and reformatted whenever changing motherboards. Except for this time on a SSD.
smile.gif
Most motherboards that have the hard drives running off of sata have the AHCI option. Even switching to a different motherboard with this type of interface enable will cause little headache, though you will most likely have to reactivate windows, you may or may not get by if the motherboard is identical I.E. swapping a dead motherboard for a good one of the same model.

As for the processor upgrade, if you have the latest bios in you should be good to go. I advise backing up your data in any regard just because not only is it a good idea, but will also save a lot of headache if the Sh** does hit the fan and you for some dumb reason have to re install the OS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts