Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I might be looking to do an upgrade (though I'd be disgruntled to have to). My Haswell chip (4770k) is not really holding an OC anymore for any length of time (got it late in the cycle so I believe it's still under warranty need to check the receipt, but I think I've already rma'd once or twice before each time they shipped a new one) and it never got that good of an oc in the first place highest was 4.3 Ghz I think with tons of voltage so I stepped it down to 4-4.1 Ghz if I needed a slight boost and it's idle temps (or barely using it like browsing the web or running a flash game or something small) which were already not great when I got it are between 35C-65C (oh yeah these are H20 loop temps in a room that is cooled to 21-22C, room, the room really heats up after comp is turned on (partially due to graphics heat output but gets to around ~26-28C at night and between 26-34C during the day with AC on and good ventilation, higher temps are if I need to close the door due to noise levels) depending on the core in question according to HWInfo and both Core Temp and Real Temp (tried all three just to see if they were all reading the same sensors which I figured they were) Core 4 is usually the hottest in the mid-high 50s and 60s.

Anyways if it's not under warranty or they don't do anything with it I'll probably need to upgrade as the heat in the room is just getting ridiculous, so my question is what architecture should I upgrade to if that's the case? I'm in the process of trying to part out a case and watercooling upgrade but that'll have to go on hold if I need to upgrade cpu and motherboard (and RAM if DDR4 only motherboard, though I was thinking about getting a 32GB kit for this setup anyways before this happened), most likely.

A bit more info. I'm a Digital Media student and do lots of 3d modeling, photo editing, video editing, encoding and post processing and gaming. My current rig details are listed under "A Song of Water and Copper" in my signature.

Sorry for the info dump, needed to vent, I really hate haswell.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Have you thought of delidding your CPU? Seems to be a good idea as you use a custom watercooling loop.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Getting a better cooler isn't going to make your room any cooler, just your CPU operate cooler.

I bet that old 460 generates a lot of heat though so try removing that.

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know upgrading the cooling won't make the room cooler, but if the cpu is running cooler that would reduce the heat in the room somewhat since the temps above are pretty much idle temps which is ridiculously high. I'm upgrading the cooling so I can liquid cool a graphics card and the case because everything is crammed as is.

Edit: Finally located the dang receipt, forgot I got it at Best Buy for $150 due to some sales and Best Buy rewards. Looks like I placed the order on 4/11/2014 so warranty should still be good hoping intel will let me do a cross-ship (or if I'm dreaming send me a devil's canyon). Now the fun of removing the waterblock.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Delidding would probably help you, but, have you checked your cpu block mounting to make sure it is fully installed properly? Thermal paste spread is good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
IF you are a digital media student you might have to think about an upgrade to x99 if you can afford it. The 5820 seems like a good entry point. The extra cores make a huge difference when rendering videos or 3D. you will also have the headroom to upgrade to 10 cores 20 threads in the future using the same mobo, or even a xeon with 18 cores if you turn it to a workstation at the end.

Keep in mind that direct X 12 and Vulcan seem to point to the utilisation of more cores than 4 cores / 8 threads.
The Witcher 3 for example started at an i7 for recommended settings, and i am quite confident that in a few years the i5 setup will start seeing much lower frame rates in open world games especially.
So far though most games are bound from single core performance so an 5820k clocked above 4.2ghz will be a great 24/7 gaming/workstation. Don't forget to install 16GB of ram at least . Most complicated 3D scenes for rendering will hit about 12GB to 14GB of ram (normal scenes about 3 to 8 gb ) . Booting my workstations and running chrome and 3ds Max for example occupies 6.1 GB of memory without rendering anything.
8 GB of ram will be a huge problem in a setup like that, For video editing and video effect previewing you could use as much ram as you can get ! 64 GB why not .. 128GB even better !

If you want to mainly play games go with the latest i7 .
IF you are on a tight budget you could think of waiting for the release of 6820K which could be very soon and buy a used 5820k when everybody starts to sell , the prices will drop considerably by then.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post

I know upgrading the cooling won't make the room cooler, but if the cpu is running cooler that would reduce the heat in the room somewhat since the temps above are pretty much idle temps which is ridiculously high. I'm upgrading the cooling so I can liquid cool a graphics card and the case because everything is crammed as is.
No it won't even if your CPU runs cooler you're still dumping the same amount of heat into your room.

The amount of heat that gets transferred from your CPU has next to nothing to do with the temperature your CPU is running at, its depends on how much energy(in the form of heat) your radiator is transferring from your components to your room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way when rendering, heat will kill you ! Let's say you render a scene for 12 hours continuously with the best watercooling system you will have non overclocked xeons hitting +50 degrees and your room will gradually go to hell ! Your aircon will start doing buzzing noises ... our rendering farm room reached ambient temperature of 40 degrees mid january where outside it was minus 5, we just opened the door and use it as heating for the whole office in the morning . 60 degrees is very normal for overclocked systems without a custom watercooling system when on load

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

No it won't even if your CPU runs cooler you're still dumping the same amount of heat into your room.

The amount of heat that gets transferred from your CPU has next to nothing to do with the temperature your CPU is running at, its depends on how much energy(in the form of heat) your radiator is transferring from your components to your room.
How exactly? Haven't studied thermodynamics so I could definitely be wrong but logic dictates that if the cpu is running cooler there is less heat to be transferred to the water and less heat to be transferred from the rad to the air. I know the number of watts it's disspating relates to the heat output, but I guess I should also mention that the cpu is running higher voltages than I originally noted at stock, presumably due to degradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnode View Post

By the way when rendering, heat will kill you ! Let's say you render a scene for 12 hours continuously with the best watercooling system you will have non overclocked xeons hitting +50 degrees and your room will gradually go to hell ! Your aircon will start doing buzzing noises ... our rendering farm room reached ambient temperature of 40 degrees mid january where outside it was minus 5, we just opened the door and use it as heating for the whole office in the morning . 60 degrees is very normal for overclocked systems without a custom watercooling system when on load
Except those temps aren't overclocked mate, that's on stock and at idle so yes I know the heat is ridiculous when doing anything, can't hardly do anything with the dang thing but browse the web and at that point it's still pretty warm in here.

@KaffieneKing Thanks for the heads up I just saw your post about the 460, I didn't realize that was still in there, I remember telling rigbuilder to remove it when I added the 780, must have glitched and not removed or reverted back or something will try removing it again.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

How exactly? Haven't studied thermodynamics so I could definitely be wrong but logic dictates that if the cpu is running cooler there is less heat to be transferred to the water and less heat to be transferred from the rad to the air.
That logic is completely false. Stop thinking in temperatures, but heat.

If your CPU is dumping 100W of heat into the loop, its dumping 100w of heat into the loop, no matter what temperature. The temperature simply indicates how effectively that 100W is being transferred from the CPU to the loop and from the loop to the room.

So the only way to make your room cooler is by making your system consume less power, by lowering the clock and voltage on your CPU.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

Hadn't finished editing post, had to go bathroom and clicked submit on accident.
Doesn't really matter everything I said is still relevant.

The bottom line is, your cooler nor the temperature your CPU runs at has anything to do with your pc warming up the room.

The only way a cooler can have an effect on this is if it can't dissipate all the heat the CPU is generating and therefore will actually result in the room getting less warm while the CPU temps go way higher.

Well not way higher, its to the point where it has to shut down due to overheating. Making it pretty pointless.

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Seems you are really having a bad line of luck with your 4770k's, even with mine in my sig which is [email protected] tops out at around 60-70*C and after running stresstests for a few hours will top maybe around 77-80*C (This is not delidded and rarely goes over 60*C during gaming and the one time when I actually did do something productive for college in vegas it topped around 65-70*C). EDIT: And the 4770k never heats my room at all, thats my R9 270x's job
tongue.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts