Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had to replace the cpu on my old PC. i got hold of a very cheap i3 for £8 and that fixed it. with a bit of help from the forum (thanks guys) i also ironed out a few other issues. now my PC is running very nicely, no issues. so i decided it was time to try an old game. Battlefield 4. with only 12gb RAM (3x4gb) as one 4gb stick died, the game barely wants to load and the i got kicked repeatedly by Punkbuster lol.. i looked around for Battlefield 1942 to find it has been de-listed. i loved that game. so now i might have to try battlefield 2, but i realise my system is woefully under spec. so, is it time to upgrade? , maybe, so lets see what you guys would recommend as an upgrade that would allow me to play games such as Battlefield 2, or 4. obviously i am not a hard-core gamer, just would like to play some games i enjoyed 10-15 years ago.
here's the spec.
mobo: GA-Z77X-UD3H (LGA-1155)
cpu: Intel i3 - 3220 , 3.10Ghz
Ram: 3 x 4096 (1 stick MIA)
gpu: BFG MaxCore 55 GPU
psu: 520w
o/s: Windows 10

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Well this is awkward...

Why didn't you get the i5 or i7? I thought you were on a very tight budget but now your thinking about upgrading?

What GPU do you have?

You should just pirate 1942 if it's not on origin. I think it's ok to pirate it if the publisher stops selling it. I thought it was free on origin now tho.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,226 Posts
uh, I played BF2 on a AMD 64 3000+ and a 6800GS, you're fine. it's a game from 2005 :confused:

BF2 servers are gone and EA killled the revival servers, so good luck on that front though. There's no single player story, only off-line against bots. it'll be fun for about 20 minutes and then you'll be bored.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is awkward...

Why didn't you get the i5 or i7? I thought you were on a very tight budget but now your thinking about upgrading?

What GPU do you have?

You should just pirate 1942 if it's not on origin. I think it's ok to pirate it if the publisher stops selling it. I thought it was free on origin now tho.
that's right, i'm broke right now. but i am planning for when i get back to work. ;) https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/bfg-tech-geforce-gtx-260-ocx-maxcore/1/

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
that's right, i'm broke right now. but i am planning for when i get back to work. ;)
You should ask about this at that time then because there is always new hardware coming out. Wouldn't make sense to plan it in advance.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should ask about this at that time then because there is always new hardware coming out. Wouldn't make sense to plan it in advance.
i'm not really expecting to buy any 'new release' hardware, just some upgrades that won't cost the earth but still make improvements, 'bang for buck' kind of thing.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
i'm not really expecting to buy any 'new release' hardware, just some upgrades that won't cost the earth but still make improvements, 'bang for buck' kind of thing.
Same answer since older hardware gets cheaper over time.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys are just no fun anymore :D

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
If you're going to get used hardware get the 2600k and some 2133mhz ram plus the best used GPU you can afford at the time.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
You weren't kicked by Punkbuster because of your hardware, you likely need to set BF4 to run as administrator to solve that problem.

The game is struggling to load as you are likely using a mechanical hard drive. I'd highly recommend switching to a SSD, even a slow SSD, for BF4. There really is a huge difference in load times and playability even with a super budget priced SSD.

Also you should be just fine to run BF4 given your specs. Although I'm not sure what a BFG Maxcore 55 is? For some reason i'm picturing a BFG GTS 250 GPU here.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
You weren't kicked by Punkbuster because of your hardware, you likely need to set BF4 to run as administrator to solve that problem.

The game is struggling to load as you are likely using a mechanical hard drive. I'd highly recommend switching to a SSD, even a slow SSD, for BF4. There really is a huge difference in load times and playability even with a super budget priced SSD.

Also you should be just fine to run BF4 given your specs. Although I'm not sure what a BFG Maxcore 55 is? For some reason i'm picturing a BFG GTS 250 GPU here.
Actually you have to update punkbuster manually for BF4 a lot of the time. Easy to google the instructions.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,226 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/BFG-GeForce-MAXCORE-Express-Graphics/dp/B0029D8D32

GTX 260 216

overkill for BF2, not so much for BF4 :D

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
Oh alright. I ran BF4 for ~4 months of daily gaming in 2017 on a 1GB GTS 250 and it performed admirably for being a video card I got free. The OP should at least be able to load and play on min settings 1920x1080P with that GTX 260 card.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts