Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Graphics card! that is the most important when it comes to gaming. Depending on how much you have to spend, 6600GT or something like that..

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
The increasing trend for games like CoD2 and BF2 etc is graphics and RAM. A better graphics card and more RAM should give the best performance increases.

·
Registered
82 Posts
3D card is ok, I have 9600xt 128mb and COD2 runs perfect. Procesor is ok to, I cant see why the game isnt runing on your pc.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SEGAos

3D card is ok, I have 9600xt 128mb and COD2 runs perfect. Procesor is ok to, I cant see why the game isnt runing on your pc.

What Settings?

DX 7 or DX 9, becouse even a FX5200 runs great with DX7.

And you have more Ram, which brand is it and would it matter if i had 1024mb (2x KINGSTON 512 vs 1 KINGSTON + 1 PQI)

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
How fast is that HDD of yours? rpm/cache

For the rest I'd go for some dual channel memory if your mobo supports that, so 2 x 512 or 2 x 1024. That graphic card u got is really nice, no need to upgrade that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy

How fast is that HDD of yours? rpm/cache

For the rest I'd go for some dual channel memory if your mobo supports that, so 2 x 512 or 2 x 1024. That graphic card u got is really nice, no need to upgrade that.

9ms/7200rpm/UDMA-100/2048Kb Cache

Nope don't support DDR2
so you'd prefer 2x 512?
And what does Elixer mean? I saw some Memory I maybe am going to buy but it's Elixer. What does it mean?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD-rules

9ms/7200rpm/UDMA-100/2048Kb Cache

Nope don't support DDR2
so you'd prefer 2x 512?
And what does Elixer mean? I saw some Memory I maybe am going to buy but it's Elixer. What does it mean?

what he means by dual channel memory isn't DDR2, instead, he means 2 identical sticks of memory (ie, 2x 256 or 2x512 ect.) Basically, a 1GB stick of memory will give you about 90% of the preformance that 2x512 would (also 2x512 would OC better compared to a 1GB stick)..

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

what he means by dual channel memory isn't DDR2, instead, he means 2 identical sticks of memory (ie, 2x 256 or 2x512 ect.) Basically, a 1GB stick of memory will give you about 90% of the preformance that 2x512 would (also 2x512 would OC better compared to a 1GB stick)..

eh, stop. He has a socket 754 system. No dual channel support

Elixer is a brand of memory.

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
2 x 512 and a faster HDD then. By the way my new mobo (Asus A7N8X-XE) also supports dual channel and it's only a simple socket A. Just saying that if you buy a kit of 2 u'll be off much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

2 x 512 and a faster HDD then. By the way my new mobo (Asus A7N8X-XE) also supports dual channel and it's only a simple socket A. Just saying that if you buy a kit of 2 u'll be off much cheaper.

Yes, socketA supports dual channel RAM. The entire socket754 platform however will not run in dual channel because the memory controller does not support it. You can put 2 sticks in but it will still run in single channel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

So does or doesn't my mobo support dual Channel? And why buy a new Harddisk??
And does Dual Channel mean EXACTLY the same sticks?? So both Kingston 512mb C2.5 or so...? Or can I use 1x 512mb Kingston and 1x 512mb Elixir?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

So does or doesn't my mobo support dual Channel? And why buy a new Harddisk??
And does Dual Channel mean EXACTLY the same sticks?? So both Kingston 512mb C2.5 or so...? Or can I use 1x 512mb Kingston and 1x 512mb Elixir?

doesnt matter, like muffin said, all socket 754's dont support dual channel... yes, dual channel means exactly the same sticks, same manufacture, same rated speeds... Yes you can use both the Elixir and Kingston sticks without any problems

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

doesnt matter, like muffin said, all socket 754's dont support dual channel... yes, dual channel means exactly the same sticks, same manufacture, same rated speeds... Yes you can use both the Elixir and Kingston sticks without any problems

Ok thanks. Now back to my question
What should I buy?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Ok thanks. Now back to my question
What should I buy?

How much u got to spend? Im still sticking with GFX card, but your memory could use an upgrade (to something respectable atleast)

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Well I had a Maxtor 40gb 7200/2mb and switched to a Maxtor 300gb 7200/16mb and definatly noticed a performance boost (and I only replaced the HDD at that point). Ok so your socket doesn't support dual channel, my bad. I learn something new every day! But indeed it's better to buy 2 equal sticks of ram, I had 2 different sticks of 512 and had trouble with timings and such. Since you are from Holland I could tell you I ordered from http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl they are probably one of the cheapest if you are looking for good parts.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

How much u got to spend? Im still sticking with GFX card, but your memory could use an upgrade (to something respectable atleast)

I could get a Geforce 6600 GT.
But don't know if some extra Ram is better. Would then buy 512 extra.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

It dosen't have to be same manufacturer or same speed, just capacity. 2x256, 2x512, 2x1024, 2x2048. If they are differing speeds, the faster stick will slow down to the speed of the slower stick. But anyway, the guys system dosen't run dual channel so forget it

The 2MB cache on the hard drive is what will bog it down. Upgrading to a hard drive with 8MB cache will give a noticable performance increase.

If you bought a 6600GT you may want to consider a new PSU as well...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

It dosen't have to be same manufacturer or same speed, just capacity. 2x256, 2x512, 2x1024, 2x2048. If they are differing speeds, the faster stick will slow down to the speed of the slower stick. But anyway, the guys system dosen't run dual channel so forget it

The 2MB cache on the hard drive is what will bog it down. Upgrading to a hard drive with 8MB cache will give a noticable performance increase.

If you bought a 6600GT you may want to consider a new PSU as well...

Whats a PSU??

@Andy: Bedankt!

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Power Supply Unit.

Yours = 400W generic

6600GT = thirsty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts