Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He has an i3 2100 and uses 64bit windows 7. He mainly uses that computer for work purposes.

He has an SSD (840 evo) and boots up in like 10-12 seconds.

However, once we put in the 16gb ram kit (4x4gb kit), his boot time is now like 15-20 seconds. The VM he uses takes like 20 seconds to load when it used to take like 4-5.

What is going on?

We checked for memory problems and found none. We ran a memory benchmark and found it to be behaving normally. 53ms latency, ~19-23k MB/sec read/write.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Possibly not on recommended RAM list for MoBo? Could be that the motherboard doesn't like that specific RAM's speeds, timings, etc? Maybe you set the speed out of spec?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 16gb is my old 4x4 corsair vengeance blue.

The PC my dad uses was the first PC I built for myself before I upgraded to the current one I have.

I bought a 4x8gb kit (which works very well) and gave my 16gb kit to my dad.

I don't know why it doesn't work now because it worked fine in my i7 PC and it worked well when it was paired with the i3 a couple years ago.

·
Registered
891 Posts
AS an uneducated guess some programs are using the increased RAM to load/run at boot rather than at idle/background. Do you have any optimization or clean up programs ? Running malware or virus scans?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Stupid question, but you're using 64 bit windows, correct?

·
2,451 Posts
Use CPUz and check to make sure the RAM is running at the right speed and timing.

What are the specs for the 4GB stick and this kit?

Also another possibility could be the page file. When the page file is left at default it automatically sets it to the same size as the RAM. Try manually setting it to 2GB or 4GB. I don't think this is the issue but it's the only thing that I can think would change by installing more RAM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Way too much ram. Put in 8 gb (2x4gb) and you are are the sweet spot. I3's are not ment to really use that much. Is he doing any video editing? Also give me the ram specs on all sticks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
16GB is not too much. No amount will slow anything down. More available RAM for programs to use and cache in can only only add speed. Something has been set incorrectly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe it's software related? Caught a virus, malware, etc., perhaps?
The performance should be the same or better.
I can't think of any reason why it would slow down other than the software or OS itself.
Try to change the bios to standard or optimized default. See if it works.
Otherwise, try a fresh OS.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZMXi View Post

16GB is not too much. No amount will slow anything down. More available RAM for programs to use and cache in can only only add speed. Something has been set incorrectly
It's possible if the IMC can't get a voltage boost to accommodate the significant memory load.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts