Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After upgrading my rig I am just dying to go all the way with it.(insert bad pun) I have 2 23 inch monitors with DVI connections. I want to upgrade my video card to hande Eyefinity and get a 3rd monitor. It gets a bit confusing on what connections are required to make it all work so I figured I'd just ask.

Can I use my 2 monitors(DVI), add a 3rd(HDMI) and get a 6850 to run the Eyefinity? More directly, will I be able to use 2 DVI and 1 HDMI to be compatible? No other special adapter cables required?

And perhaps a better recommendation? Under $240 if really a big difference over 6850.

Was thinking about putting a larger 27 inch in the middle also. Does this throw off perspective too much to be playable with games?

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to getting more involved in your site. I'm just having too much darned fun with my new i7!
Buddy

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want to use Eyefinity,one of the monitors has to be connected via display port afaik.

Under 240$ I would go with a 6950 with 2gb.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Multiple GPus are idle for multiple monitors. A single card won't be very suffienct in most cases.

However, when using mutliple GPUs, they share the VRAM from just one of them. So if you have 3x 1Gb video cards, you have a total of 1GB of VRAM actual being uses. For that reason, people with multiple monitors and GPUs get cards that have at least 1.5GB of VRAM.

6950 2GB for sure. Crossfire it up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sooo much!
Found a 6950 2GB for $265 and jumped on it. So obv I had to get the 3rd monitor. I went with a 27 inch Asus with displayport input. Saves me the hassle of adapters and it sure is pretty between the 2 23's.

Can't wait to try all my games and see which ones work with Eyefinity.
Thanks again
Buddy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts