which one

Votes: 1 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So it's 12 days before pay day and im already wondering what to do with money lol (i hate saving money, call me fool w/e)

Choice 1:

r9 390 + 144hz 1440p screen and 750w psu gold+

Choice 2:

r9 fury + 850w psu gold+ and stuff that i could order month after would be a screen + proper vesa swing arm and vesa adapter

Please answer why and which one

ps. my current setup is:
cpu: i5-4590
ram 8gb
2x 250gb ssd non raid
r9 380
500w psu
thermaltake core v21 case
24 acer tn 1080p sceen

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
You dont need a 750 or 850 watt PSU unless you are going to have two video cards.
You can save yourself some money and get a 550 watt G2 instead.

And there are new video cards on the way coming out in early june.
So if you can wait you should as the older video cards will drop in price.

Get yourself a nice monitor first and then new video cards after.
Something like the Asus MG279Q or PG279Q might be something you like/want.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I am here to talk about the power supply. Never fear, others will come along and help you with the rest. I am only contributing what I can.

Unless you plan to have two of those cards instead of just one, you could power this with a good quality-made 550W PSU.

I am curious about something else: why is this in the "AMD - General" forum? Where's the AMD CPU and AMD motherboard? This forum isn't for AMD video cards.

Edit: I'm curious about one more thing: why are your current specs right-aligned? I almost didn't notice them sitting there. You don't need to do any fancy formatting with centering and right-aligning text. If anything, it's worse because we aren't used to it.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
The monitor you picked is a TN panel monitor which means the colors and viewing angles are going to suck.
So forget about that monitor get something that is IPS or PLS instead as that is going to look much better then TN panel you found.

Both the MG279Q and PG279Q are IPS.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Fury + Freesync monitor

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
Did not even the system in the OP due to that strange way the post is set up.
Which 500 watt PSU?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
do you currently have a 380? if so keep it and wait for polaris/pascal or vega(2017) and if you want get a freesync/gsync monitor

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bequiet one i want something modular and of higher grade,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

do you currently have a 380? if so keep it and wait for polaris/pascal or vega(2017) and if you want get a freesync/gsync monitor
yes i have but it's acting up like randomly turns off, there were some issues with fan control and i think my card slightly cooked up :/

Actually thinking on going with finance plan for my upgrade and maybe CF r9 390 ? they will sell easily anyway, will it be able to reach 120+ fps in bf4 on freesync 1440p screen?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Better RMA the card or exchange at retailer for malfunction(unless you didnt try other drivers and uninstalled older drivers with ddu)

Dont upgrade to a r9 390 or CF of current cards ,the new cards are few months away from release

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Better RMA the card or exchange at retailer for malfunction(unless you didnt try other drivers and uninstalled older drivers with ddu)

Dont upgrade to a r9 390 or CF of current cards ,the new cards are few months away from release
i got a buyer for it who is aware of the state, will get 90 gbp for it. r9 380 is way too low even for 1440p 60fps sadly, it can't handle 1080p 60 fps in most of cases lol

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I'm still wondering why this is in the 'AMD - General' forum. This forum is for AMD systems, not AMD video cards. Overclock.net has a forum for AMD video cards.

Are you looking to get an AMD CPU? If you're looking to stay with Intel but you want this to be more of a general thread, then use "Intel - General". Don't make another thread though. All you have to do is report your own thread (report the original post) and request that it be moved to whichever forum you want it to be in.

I am also still wondering what your plans are. Why are you looking at 750W and 850W PSUs?

Finally, I still recommend left aligning your current specs. Shilka missed them entirely and only saw them because I saw them and mentioned it. You don't need special formatting for any reason. Just post. Y'know? ;)

Anyway, yeah, I'm wondering the following:

1. Why is this thread in "AMD - General"?
  2. What are your plans? Why are you looking at 750W and 850W PSUs?
  3. Please reformat your original post so that the chances of others seeing your current specs BECOMES HIGHER.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is this thread in "AMD - General"?
What are your plans? Why are you looking at 750W and 850W PSUs?
Please reformat your original post so that the chances of others seeing your current specs BECOMES HIGHER.

1. my mistake, that's all

2. i plan on going cf because single card wont give me 1440p 120-144fps in games i'd like to play (bf4, bdo and some other fps)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvi View Post

Why is this thread in "AMD - General"?
What are your plans? Why are you looking at 750W and 850W PSUs?
Please reformat your original post so that the chances of others seeing your current specs BECOMES HIGHER.

1. my mistake, that's all

2. i plan on going cf because single card wont give me 1440p 120-144fps in games i'd like to play (bf4, bdo and some other fps)
Oh ok cool. I used the Report Post feature to kinda request that this thread be moved. I just put in the report that this thread is for an upgrade to an existing Intel system.

Anyway, here are some super high-end 750W PSUs to consider. They make the EVGA GQ look like crap:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/super-flower-power-supply-sf750f14mg

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020092na

Here are some 850W PSUs of the same quality:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020093na

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/super-flower-power-supply-sf850f14mg

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p20850x1

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
The GQ series are not really that great at least not compared to the G2/P2/T2.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I think that's what I just said.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvi View Post

will it be able to reach 120+ fps in bf4 on freesync 1440p screen?
Yeah max everything apart from resolution scaling @ 120hz... expect the odd drop here and there on certain maps with everything maxed.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdHardCash View Post

Lol tn panels best for gaming .
No one said that in this thread. Are you going to help Torvi upgrade his computer?

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
This is where buyers remorse starts. Have some patience otherwise you'll be in the same boat a few months down the line but instead $400+ short.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts