Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a last few upgrades to do to my system before the new baby arrives.

What recomendations does every 1 have.

Already ordered GTX570 superclocked.

Was thinking a watercooling system EK kit or summin like that.

What about a 60GB SSD for OS and battlefield 3 to be on? worth it or not?
only £55.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have been looking at either a kingston or OCZ 60GB.

Not sure what SATA speeds my mobo can handle actualy. Will have a check then see what SSD i can get that will do the speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by passey;15257162
have been looking at either a kingston or OCZ 60GB.

Not sure what SATA speeds my mobo can handle actualy. Will have a check then see what SSD i can get that will do the speeds.
On a sata 2 port, max speed should be around 350-375 MB/s read/write speeds, while they usually max at 550 MB/s on sata 3 6Gbps.
If you had to choose between either of those brands, i'd tell you to go for the Kingston one. They are pretty good, very aggressive garbage collection, and they seem to be more reliable than OCZ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophath;15257199
On a sata 2 port, max speed should be around 350-375 MB/s read/write speeds, while they usually max at 550 MB/s on sata 3 6Gbps.
If you had to choose between either of those brands, i'd tell you to go for the Kingston one. They are pretty good, very aggressive garbage collection, and they seem to be more reliable than OCZ.
Will have a look at kingston prices ina sec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb6003;15257290
Right now, you want anything that has the sandforce controller (such as the second drive you posted), they're about 3x faster than others, and not overkill. If you can, put your OS on there as well and get ready for fast!
That's pretty much just for high end ssd using sandforce sf-2xxx controllers. But that Corsair Nova ssd actually do look like it is quite decent. Also, you could try looking at the Crucial C300 or M4. They are great and very reliable.

This one here doesn't look so bad.http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-95mb-s-new-version
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeh its gonna have OS on it, bf3 and possible eve-online.

All that shouldn't use 60GB whats windows 7 OS size nowadays?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by passey;15257357
yeh its gonna have OS on it, bf3 and possible eve-online.

All that shouldn't use 60GB whats windows 7 OS size nowadays?
Windows should use around 20-25 GB i think. But you will want to leave around 20% space free. Any less, and your drive might suffer a bit of performance.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
78,936 Posts
The 64-bit version of Windows 7's system requirements list 20GB of free space. I think my install took about 16. It's a normal install (not an nLite or anything) which I then later reduced even further from 16GB.
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15257400
The 64-bit version of Windows 7's system requirements list 20GB of free space. I think my install took about 16. It's a normal install (not an nLite or anything) which I then later reduced even further from 16GB.
smile.gif
cool so max 20GB for os 8GB for eve and how much was BF3? was it 20gb for tht? Might just leave eve on the other don't play it much anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophath;15257341
That's pretty much just for high end ssd using sandforce sf-2xxx controllers. But that Corsair Nova ssd actually do look like it is quite decent. Also, you could try looking at the Crucial C300 or M4. They are great and very reliable.

This one here doesn't look so bad.http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-95mb-s-new-version
He has a sata 2 board. Your selections were sata 3. Not that a sata3 wouldn't be backwards compatible, but he won't be seeing those 500mb/s reads. Also, the one in the link only has a 95mb/s write speed.

Something like this: AGT3-25SAT3-60G might saturate both ends better. Sata 3, also, but maybe better and still cheap.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top