Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my sister is in the market for some basic computer upgrades. She has a Dell PC; the image below are CPUz screenshots so you can get a general idea of what's what.

So the system in quesiton is a Dimention 4600, and she is willing to spend approx 200 CDN.

Now before sombody says it, don't say "Save up and buy something better". My sister doesn't value PCs as much as some of us here, and that's OK.

I looked up the service maunal, and there are some other specs:

System chip set Intel 865PE
AGP AGP 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X
Dual Channel DDR SDRAM
PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR SDRAM
(non-ECC) 128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB

DC power supply:
Wattage 250 W

Now what she wants is the most bang for her buck performance wise. She'd like a upgrade from her FX 5200 GFX card, and overall system speed. I was thinking GFX and Memory, but since I know nothing about GFX cards and DDR memory, I need help... other suggestions for diffrent parts are WELCOME.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
just get some pc 3200 corsair valuselect memory 1GB of it. .. i just put a gig of it in a buddys dell and it works great, for a video card i recomend a 7600GT .. those two upgrade should perk up that dell

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She likes RPGs.. Everquest/Everquest II I think? Anyways, I'm guessing that almost ANYTHING is better than a 5200.

The only problem is she also has a pretty big screen (Samsung 940BW)... so she probably would have to run the games in centered output mode I guess.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen-Liquid View Post
the psu seems short...
I'm really looking for performance upgrades rather than long term investments...

I agree that the PSU is essentially useless, but surely there is a decent GFX card that would run and be somewhat better than an FX5200?

Like for the GFX card, what is the best GFX card I can get for not much cash while being able to run off a crappy PS?

I'm quite happy telling my sister that it's not worth bothering, but I find it hard to believe...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts