Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is it possible to replace a laptop CPU with a better one if it's the same generation?
I'm looking at moving this laptop from an i5 2430M to an i7 2640M or perhaps even a quad core. Does the TDP have to be the same?

It's a Vaio CB35.

Also upgrading it to 12GB ram and an SSD, it's GPU is a Radeon 6630M, can't do much about that.

The reason for upgrading is that this laptop struggles with 4K video, but has the advantage of a removable battery and the screen is pretty good, so I haven't been able to find a decent successor unit.

Cheers.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,289 Posts
My recommendation is to look for a model of that exact machine that has a quad core i7. If you find one, then go for something more potent like a 2760QM. The upgrade from an i5 to an i7 dual core is noticeable, but not groundbreaking. You'll still struggle with 4k video unless a quad is readily available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

My recommendation is to look for a model of that exact machine that has a quad core i7. If you find one, then go for something more potent like a 2760QM. The upgrade from an i5 to an i7 dual core is noticeable, but not groundbreaking. You'll still struggle with 4k video unless a quad is readily available.
Ideally I'd like to move to a quad core, but that means either the battery will die faster or it won't be able to handle the extra 10 watts TDP.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Do you have a 4k monitor to view 4k video? lol

I took a look, the i7-2670qm seems reasonable on ebay right now and it'll give you a pretty decent boost in performance in accordance with Geekbench 3.
https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/520040?baseline=4968072

If you had no budget and wanted to go overkill I'd get the i7-2760QM, also somewhat reasonable on ebay, just more rare.
https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/5743521?baseline=4968072

If your going to go from 35-45W TDP I'd get some CLU and use that as long as your heatsink is copper, which it should be. The CLU should compensate for better thermal transfer that'd make up for the additional 10tdp.

The only risky part is the additional power consumption...which honestly could be less than 10w compared to the 35w to 45w but it just depends on the leakage of the chip. If you go to a quad core i7 I sure wouldn't be running IBT or heck Prime95... I'd stick to normal applications and maybe realbench if you have a laptop cooling pad...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, I'm trying to play footage from my gh4 on the laptop's built in screen, I'm not connecting it to a 4k display. What is CLU, do you mean thermal paste?
The power supply is 19.5 volts, 4.7 Amps. output.
Here is what the current cooling on the CPU looks like :

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke256 View Post

depends on your PSU, and the compatibility, is there any other models of the laptop with quads ? if yes then you have a high probability that it's gonna be working directly..
I'm going to have to say no, but there was a 'F' around at the same time which had a quad i7. I at this point all I'm losing is money by buying the CPU, if it doesn't work I can always put the old CPU back in the unit. According to a forum the CB series sis offer an i7 2620M, which means it could work, but Imglidinhere said it'll still struggle with the 4K video, so now I'm looking into a 2670QM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After do a bit of research there is a slight socket variation in the quad cores and the dual core i7s, so I'll just go with the 2620 or the 2640.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts