Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Untitled.jpg
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I could use any and all input on this, all much appreciated.

So I've been looking at upgrading from my 2500K ever since the 6700K was released.. I decided it wasn't worth it, same goes for the 7700K.
When Ryzen finally rolled around, I completely settled on either the 1600 or 1700, but life kept getting in the way.
Anyway, here I am now looking at the R5 1600 again, but would it actually be a big enough upgrade? Should I shell out for the 8700K instead?
What about Zen+? Do we have much info on it yet, will it be worth waiting around for? Is it expected any time soon?

Beyond all that, I'm a bit tired of messing with overclocking these days(blasphemy I know, I'm sorry) and the Australian summers are just too unkind for it.
I already have quite a good cooler that I can easily get the AM4 bracket for, is the price premium worth it for the higher stock clocks of the 1600X?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
845 Posts
For Zen+/Ryzen2, I'm not sure what the consensus is....but what I've understood from the rumors is slightly higher clockspeeds but same/similar IPC, architecture, performance, etc. I doubt there'd be too big of a difference between the 1800x and 2800x.

As for 1600 vs 1600x, the 1600x is literally an overclocked 1600. Whatever thermal/temp/power issues you'd have with overclocking the 1600 to 1600x speeds you'd also have with a 1600x.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What are you mainly doing on your rig? The 1600X is pretty hard to beat right now. I got mine for $180 shipped and it's been great and a massive upgrade over my old FX-8350. The Intel chip is good as well but runs $300+ and isn't worth it in my opinion. If you're not going to be overclocking then I'd opt for the 1600X as it'll turbo up to 4.0 and give you the best performance. Make sure you pair it with some 3200 MHz RAM for the best performance too.

·
Untitled.jpg
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi is Dumb View Post

Since Zen+ isn't coming til April, and it's possible R5 will be even later.. I've ultimately decided to go with an R5 1600 within the next couple weeks. Non X, gonna save the $40 and overclock it myself which freed up enough for me to go all out on the RAM kit I just ordered.. https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232407&ignorebbr=1
Add a few more and get this instead . . .

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g.skill_flare_x-_-20-232-530-_-Product

Guaranteed 3200 MHz @ CL14.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Make sure the ram is on the list for the mobo you're getting. Ryzen has compatibility issues with some ram.

·
Untitled.jpg
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Add a few more and get this instead . . .

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g.skill_flare_x-_-20-232-530-_-Product

Guaranteed 3200 MHz @ CL14.
I had already bought it, and neither are on the QVL for the B350-F, I had also seen a few posts around the internet of the Flare X not actually being a guarantee with the Strix B350-F either so I took the gamble on the nicer looking kit. They're still Samsung B-die so surely they won't do too poorly even if I don't get cas 14.

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi is Dumb View Post

I had already bought it, and neither are on the QVL for the B350-F, I had also seen a few posts around the internet of the Flare X not actually being a guarantee with the Strix B350-F either so I took the gamble on the nicer looking kit. They're still Samsung B-die so surely they won't do too poorly even if I don't get cas 14.
That's my motherboard. Came with a bios back in May last year and can only do 2933 on the ram. Updated to the one back in Sep and still on it then was able to set 3200 MHz only making two adjustments in the bios advance settings. All others are in auto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts