Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R rev1.6 with an i7 950, and want to upgrade to an Asus Z77 Sabertooth with an i7 3770k

Will I be able to do this without installing Windows all over again? I will be using the same RAM and everything else from my old build.

Thanks for any help

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Yes, there's a chance that it will work. However, I recommend preparing as though it won't. That is, prepare as though you are going to format and start over.

Of course, if you have an OEM copy of Windows 7, then you would need a new one.

• Rep+
Reactions: nyrang3rs

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I just cloned my hard drive after upgrading the ssd, so have the old ssd available just in case. I really don't think I could handle installing windows all over again, I have so many programs setup a certain way. Is there any way to find out? I was reading the biggest thing to cause a problem is the sata chip in the old board vs the new. I believe I am connecting my old Gigabyte to the Intel sata chip onboard currently.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrang3rs View Post

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I just cloned my hard drive after upgrading the ssd, so have the old ssd available just in case. I really don't think I could handle installing windows all over again, I have so many programs setup a certain way. Is there any way to find out? I was reading the biggest thing to cause a problem is the sata chip in the old board vs the new. I believe I am connecting my old Gigabyte to the Intel sata chip onboard currently.
That's referring to IDE mode vs. AHCI mode. If you're currently using AHCI mode, then that part won't be a problem. If you're currently using IDE mode, then there's a small change in the Registry that would need to be made first.

I don't know of any way to find out or to predict what will happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm currently using AHCI. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers and try it when I upgrade in a month or so. Thanks again

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. I'm currently using AHCI. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers and try it when I upgrade in a month or so. Thanks again
You're welcome!

Again though, have a backup plan ready just in case: prepare as though you're going to format and start over.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynails View Post

The thing is if you have a i7 at 4.2 there is no real reason you need to upgrade.
If i was you I would wait 7 months till the next gen comes out
Everything I read makes me think the new chip will be geared more for mobile, I don't care about the graphics power of an i7. I want 4.5-5ghz stable and my 950 doesn't cut it. I also don't want to wait 6 months just to spend 1000 on a chip and motherboard when I can spend much less now and get almost the same clock speeds.

·
Registered
189 Posts
But what do you need 4.5 to 5 ghz for ? Just to have that speed and not need it is a waste if you don't need it for something I agree just stick with that for now and wait and the prices will drop so either way you win. Cheaper prices or newer tech your choice. I would buy something new too but I think what I have now is doing just fine and I feel no need to upgrade with my i7 930.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:

I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R rev1.6 with an i7 950, and want to upgrade to an Asus Z77 Sabertooth with an i7 3770k
Will I be able to do this without installing Windows all over again? I will be using the same RAM and everything else from my old build.
Thanks for any help
Microsoft will give you three days to come up with a new Product ID (serial) number, if it asks you to "activate" windows after the CPU/MB swap.
It might depend if your windows 7 disk is an OEM or retail.
I was lucky to have bought Win 8 upgrade a month before my MEM/CPU/MB swap (only $30 after mail in).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

Everything I read makes me think the new chip will be geared more for mobile, I don't care about the graphics power of an i7. I want 4.5-5ghz stable and my 950 doesn't cut it. I also don't want to wait 6 months just to spend 1000 on a chip and motherboard when I can spend much less now and get almost the same clock speeds.
Clock-for-clock, Ivy Bridge is much faster than even the i7-950 at 4.2 GHz.

So, are you only looking to upgrade because you want the number to be 4.5 to 5 GHz? Even at 4.2 GHz, it's going to be noticeably faster and more powerful than the i7-950.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Clock-for-clock, Ivy Bridge is much faster than even the i7-950 at 4.2 GHz.

So, are you only looking to upgrade because you want the number to be 4.5 to 5 GHz? Even at 4.2 GHz, it's going to be noticeably faster and more powerful than the i7-950.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebobb View Post

But what do you need 4.5 to 5 ghz for ? Just to have that speed and not need it is a waste if you don't need it for something I agree just stick with that for now and wait and the prices will drop so either way you win. Cheaper prices or newer tech your choice. I would buy something new too but I think what I have now is doing just fine and I feel no need to upgrade with my i7 930.
No, not at all just looking for a number. I mainly run Flight Sim X, and I need that fast of a speed to run it with sliders full with addon scenery and aircraft. It's such an old graphics engine that is too dependent on the CPU. A fast GPU gives me better performance with clouds but detailed scenery needs a fast CPU unfortunately. So that's why I want a new chip running at least 4.5 steady.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

No, not at all just looking for a number. I mainly run Flight Sim X, and I need that fast of a speed to run it with sliders full with addon scenery and aircraft. It's such an old graphics engine that is too dependent on the CPU. A fast GPU gives me better performance with clouds but detailed scenery needs a fast CPU unfortunately. So that's why I want a new chip running at least 4.5 steady.
All I'm saying is that even at 4.2 GHz, the 3770K will be noticeably faster and more powerful (I am willing to bet that it will be more than good enough). Just for fun, I recommend trying 4.2 GHz first just to see how much better it really is - and then overclock further after that.

Also, does FSX take advantage of HyperThreading? I mean if not, then the 3570K would be the better choice because I've seen people reporting "jittery" gaming performance with HT enabled. This is not a problem if the game is coded to take advantage of HyperThreading.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

All I'm saying is that even at 4.2 GHz, the 3770K will be noticeably faster and more powerful (I am willing to bet that it will be more than good enough). Just for fun, I recommend trying 4.2 GHz first just to see how much better it really is - and then overclock further after that.

Also, does FSX take advantage of HyperThreading? I mean if not, then the 3570K would be the better choice because I've seen people reporting "jittery" gaming performance with HT enabled. This is not a problem if the game is coded to take advantage of HyperThreading.
Nope, FSX performs worse with HT on. Thanks for the info, you are probably right. I just figured I would need a higher clock if I wanted to see better performance in such an ancient graphics system like FSX.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

Nope, FSX performs worse with HT on. Thanks for the info, you are probably right. I just figured I would need a higher clock if I wanted to see better performance in such an ancient graphics system like FSX.
Then the 3570K will be the superior choice for sure. Although, you could get the 3770K and keep HT disabled until the day comes when you need it (if that day ever comes before upgrade again).

I would still upgrade because you will notice a difference, even if you keep the 3570K at stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.