Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my mobo to one that has better features for overclocking, and an additional PCIe slot so that I could crossfire, but I'm not sure how exactly that would work. I've never replaced the mobo in a system and from what little I've gathered Windows will not be very cooperative if I switch out the mobo. All help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, you will *need* to (be forced to before you can logon, I think) re-activate Windows if you swap out the mobo (at least its very likely). Good luck

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm assuming you must have OEM Windows then? Yeah, you can call Microsoft directly to get it re-activated I think. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you kept all the stuff that came with it.

Are you also looking for suggestions on a better motherboard or were you just wondering about how to re-install your windows oem?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus View Post
I'm assuming you must have OEM Windows then? Yeah, you can call Microsoft directly to get it re-activated I think. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you kept all the stuff that came with it.

Are you also looking for suggestions on a better motherboard or were you just wondering about how to re-install your windows oem?
Yeah, I have the OEM Windows. I was just clearing things up about having to re-activate Windows and stuff if I switched mobos.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
when i installed a new mobo i had to use sysprep to make sure windows was still going to work but i'm running xp i'm sure windows 7 has some fancy way of doing it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts