Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running an old AMD Athlon Tbird computer and I want to upgrade to a brand spanking new AMD64 CPU, but I don't know what to choose between socket 774 and socket 939. I read around and is 939 better for the future? Any pros or cons over each other?

Currently I'm running:
AMD Athlon Tbird 1.4ghz
A7V8X-X
2x512MB PC2700 DDRRAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 128MB

What I want to do is firstly upgrade the CPU and motherboard first, then work on the RAM and Video card.

I don't want to get stuck in the AGP video card era and would like to upgrade to PCIe soon in the future, is there any S939 motherboard that supports PCIe/AGP so it's easier for me to make the video card switch?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
the 939 will be the future becuase they rarely drop the down the amount of pins to alower number.

I think yuo should ge the 3400+ or 3500+, look for a mobile, ig you cant find a mobiel then i'm not sure what stepping to look for or core

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
I'd say, go S939. Many people swear by S774 because there is not much performance difference between the two. But if your getting a new system, why buy older technology?

Also, maybe keep away from the 'Mobile' clawhammer chips combined with the DFI boards, because we've had 3 people clawhammers die on them in a space of a month....not a good sign!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If u are going with s939 get a 3000+ or a 3200+ (winchester) both are pretty cheap and oc well. And, I have heard rumors of a AGP/pcie board... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
those AGP/PCI-e boards are crap, dotn bother with it.yuo can get AGP-PCI-e adapters though or is that PCI-e to AGP, i think it's the first one.

They work well i've heard form review sites. just a slight lack of bandwicth but it doesn't hur the performance that much

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPARSTARX

how much longer do you guys think AGP will stay in the game?

I'd say that cards will still be made for AGP for another year at least, and then it will still be a couple of years after that before the last AGP cards will need upgrading for the latest games.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The overall breakdown of this is Socket 939 is where AMD is going, Socket 754 is going to be moved to the "value" or "Budget" demogarphic, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. The only thing Socket 939 really has going for it is SLi (expensive) and PCI Express (useless) and unless you can afford to throw down the $800 for an FX-55, there's really no point when near the same performance can be had at one fourth the cost. I recommend, as I have to many others, than you go Socket 754, you can get ClawHammer Mobiles (which don't exist on Socket 939, sorry) with 1MB of L2 Cache like the FX chips but they don't cost more than a hour (around US$230). AGP will be around for a long time, at least another year, possibley longer because PCIe offers no performance benefit and until it does the buying public is going to waste more money on a new interface that gives them no benefit.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
supposedly we are seeing the last AGP cards now, but you know thats not the case, AGP is too widespred for now to be the last batch of AGP cards we see, for AGP to completely die out its going to take probably a couple of years, maybe a bit more.

if you want to tinker a lot with your system nothing is going to beat a mobile A64 and a skt 754 mobo, but skt 939 is the smart choice, i wholly recommend the DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D when it comes out in a bit

·
Registered
840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPARSTARX

question: why a mobile processor?

Cause it OC's better so you can get better performance from a lower cost processor.
And why don't you guys ever mention dual channel RAM as a part of the benefits on s939? s754 doesn't support that, and an extra dimm slot is always handy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts