Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,I have a Raijintek Triton watercooling on my cpu ,but I want to watercool my gpu aswell,so I am thinking,is there a way to add a tube from cpu to gpu and then to rad.Can you tell me which waterblock and tubing to get that will fit perfectly with this,if its even possible? I have a 980Ti Zotac AMP! reference card ZT-90503-10P.I have a small cap on the reservoir so its refillable.

Refilling is very hard tbh,only way to fill it to top is do it while system is running....which is dangerous but i cant think of any other way,maybe if I take it out of the system,then unplug the CPU,this will activate the pump...but then theres the problem that the cable for the pump that connects to the motherboard is too short..If I refill it outside the pc with everything turned off including the pump,I can only fill it around 60-70%,which is what I do.

I live in the UK so amazon or ebay links would be best.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
If you add stuff to you loop you will be adding more heat too. Can you loop handle more heat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an i5 4690k @ 4,5ghz at 1,285v it reaches 77C on IXTU stress test after an hour,the radiator is 240mm and both radiator fans are running at low speed(1134rpm,there is a knob to change the speed but they get noisy with anything higher).Any more heat won't be good for the cpu,so maybe a separate watercooler would be a better idea? something like Kraken G10 enclosure+corsair H75.

However,as a sidenote,my zotac 980ti has 3 fans and a huge radiator,it reaches 82C at 82% fan speed,which is not bad,however it gets very loud at anything above 60%.Will watercooling have a dramatic effect on temperature and noise or not?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot1553 View Post

I have an i5 4690k @ 4,5ghz at 1,285v it reaches 77C on IXTU stress test after an hour,the radiator is 240mm and both radiator fans are running at low speed(1134rpm,there is a knob to change the speed but they get noisy with anything higher).Any more heat won't be good for the cpu,so maybe a separate watercooler would be a better idea? something like Kraken G10 enclosure+corsair H75.

However,as a sidenote,my zotac 980ti has 3 fans and a huge radiator,it reaches 82C at 82% fan speed,which is not bad,however it gets very loud at anything above 60%.Will watercooling have a dramatic effect on temperature and noise or not?
This all depends on how much you plan on expanding. another 120mm radiator alone on the cpu or the gpu isn't going to help much. If you take the rule of thumb 120+120 per device you need more rad space. Push/pull can net you better cooling with less fan noise as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerboy3 View Post

This all depends on how much you plan on expanding. another 120mm radiator alone on the cpu or the gpu isn't going to help much. If you take the rule of thumb 120+120 per device you need more rad space. Push/pull can net you better cooling with less fan noise as well.
So what you are saying is an AIO like Corsair H75 is going to have the same temperature/noise as my stock zotac cooling? and the only way to improve things is to get a 240mm water cooling kit for the gpu too?

I am planning on buying a second 980ti,and as far as I know,there arent many cases that can hold 3x 240mm rads..and they cost a fortune.Also every factory watercooled gpu comes with a single 120mm rad and has really nice temperatures compared to air cooled gpus...

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Simply put, The more air that goes through a rad then more heat it will remove. So, if you want to use low CFM, quiet fans you need a lot of radiator facings to get enough air through.
The other way of making low CFM fans work is to use very efficient waterblocks and/or very high water flow rates.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Simply put, The more air that goes through a rad then more heat it will remove. So, if you want to use low CFM, quiet fans you need a lot of radiator facings to get enough air through.
The other way of making low CFM fans work is to use very efficient waterblocks and/or very high water flow rates.
So...a cooling like Corsair H75 will be just as loud as my zotac reference air cooling?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,485 Posts
Quote:

So...a cooling like Corsair H75 will be just as loud as my zotac reference air cooling?
Probably. And using the G10 you will have no VRAM cooling, and the cooling on your video card VRM goes down the toilet. People get excited about the lower GPU temp on the CLC ghetto mod, but as a whole the situation is worse than air cooling.

The Raijintek really isn't equipped for expansion by itself. It is theoretically expandable, but the pump is weak and doesn't have sufficient head pressure and flow rate to add something as restrictive as a GPU block and work very effectively. Also, the 980Ti can produce a lot of heat, and a single aluminum 240mm is not going to cut it for that and a CPU, a pair of 240mm radiators would be ideal, but even with that you are saddled with that 240mm that came with it....

If you wanted to keep things simple, you could add something like a Swiftech MCP140-X to your loop along with a full cover GPU block. You would still be a little short on rad capacity for optimal performance, but you wouldn't be too far off, and the pump on the 140-X is a world better than what is on your existing Raijintek and can handle that loop easily.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

I have no idea if that's true or not.

All I;m saying is that the more rad facings you have the less air (and the quieter fan), you can put on each facing and get the same cooling.
One 75 CFM fan on a 1 x 120 rad would be (about) equal to two 37.5 CFM fans on a 2 X 120 rad, three 25 CFM fans on a 3 X 120 rad, or four 18.75 CFM fans on a 4 X 120 rad.
Of course the are many other factors that effect the amount of cooling too.

Here's a great guide on how to choose a pump that applies to choosing any WCing component too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Probably. And using the G10 you will have no VRAM cooling, and the cooling on your video card VRM goes down the toilet. People get excited about the lower GPU temp on the CLC ghetto mod, but as a whole the situation is worse than air cooling.

The Raijintek really isn't equipped for expansion by itself. It is theoretically expandable, but the pump is weak and doesn't have sufficient head pressure and flow rate to add something as restrictive as a GPU block and work very effectively. Also, the 980Ti can produce a lot of heat, and a single aluminum 240mm is not going to cut it for that and a CPU, a pair of 240mm radiators would be ideal, but even with that you are saddled with that 240mm that came with it....

If you wanted to keep things simple, you could add something like a Swiftech MCP140-X to your loop along with a full cover GPU block. You would still be a little short on rad capacity for optimal performance, but you wouldn't be too far off, and the pump on the 140-X is a world better than what is on your existing Raijintek and can handle that loop easily.
How about Arctic Accelero Hybrid III?it has a rad to cool the VRMs.My zotac has a backplate which looks cool but im willing to make the sacrifice for the sake of lower noise/temperature.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Accelero-Hybrid-III-120-Aluminium/dp/B0156R6MB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1451582603&sr=8-4&keywords=accelero+hybrid+iii

Also,check this out,this is GB Waterforce 980Ti with a single 120mm rad,It has 20C lower temps than the zotac! How does that work?
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_Waterforce/27.html

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
If I understood the question correct and you are looking for a water-block for a non-reference 970 card then Alphacool has quite wide coverage for all kinds of less than common cards and if yours is not covered you can ship them your card and they make the block for it and ship the card back to you. do note that these are not "true full-cover" blocks as only the GPU core is fully watercooled, rest of the parts are covered by massive eluminium heatsink which is semi-passive (partly cooled by the central water-block).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

If I understood the question correct and you are looking for a water-block for a non-reference 970 card then Alphacool has quite wide coverage for all kinds of less than common cards and if yours is not covered you can ship them your card and they make the block for it and ship the card back to you. do note that these are not "true full-cover" blocks as only the GPU core is fully watercooled, rest of the parts are covered by massive eluminium heatsink which is semi-passive (partly cooled by the central water-block).
its a reference zotac 980ti...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses guys,looks like I will stay with Aircooling on gpu as 120mm rad ain't gonna cut it and 240mm is too much for my case(and its too much money to buy another case+cooling etc).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts