Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I have a chance for an upgrade and give my 9950 BE 140 W to my wife...so help me to decide.

Just check the 810 is $140 and 920 is $10 more from Newegg....so which one to get and heard so much about the 720. Can I unlock the 4th core with Crosshair II?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Id recommend getting a Black Edition chip so you can OC them easier so with your board you can use all the AM2/AM2+/AM3 chips. My personal recommendation would be the 955BE as its what I have and know that unless your crunching 24/7 it will do anything you can throw at it. But budgetwise Id say get the 720BE as Ive heard nothing but praise about it. There is a 720BE club that I cant find atm, but Im sure they can tell you if you can unlock on that board. Lastly, if you get an AM3 chip, you still wont be able to use DDR3 so theres really no reason to go AM3 unless you buy a new a mobo. If you want a quad, Id go with 940BE as you wont pay for what you cant use.

EDIT: I think they changed the name of the group, heres the link

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of AM3 compatible chip and DDR 3 down the road as this Crosshair II was given as NEW in box by Asus a few week ago, when I RMAed the Crosshair like 5 times. And I have 2X M3N-HT/deluxe too...one was purchased from Newegg opened box a year ago with no issues, and the other one was also given by Asus, NIB when I RMAed the M2N32-SLi/deluxe WIFI edition like 4 times. I must love the Asus tech support team (Level 3).

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hata28 View Post
I was thinking of AM3 compatible chip and DDR 3 down the road as this Crosshair II was given as NEW in box by Asus a few week ago, when I RMAed the Crosshair like 5 times. And I have 2X M3N-HT/deluxe too...one was purchased from Newegg opened box a year ago with no issues, and the other one was also given by Asus, NIB when I RMAed the M2N32-SLi/deluxe WIFI edition like 4 times. I must love the Asus tech support team (Level 3).
Id be afraid to be one of your motherboards :\\ But you really must be loved by Asus.
If you arent going to go AM3 yet then imo the best chip you can get is a 940 followed by the 920 just because you're guaranteed all 4 cores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.