Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm re-freshing my Gaming Rig soon, and I need to choose a new GPU Card.

I'm going with a Triple-Monitor setup and I'd rather not spend 1000$ on dual GTX 580s for a tiny performance boost over a 6970 CrossFire Setup, and and the GTX 590 seems to be almost entirely sold out, which leaves me with:

AMD Radeon 6990
CrossFire AMD Radeon 6970s
A friend of mine is recommending SLi GTX 560 Ti, but slightly less performance.
GTX 570 SLi?

I've read some comparison reviews (here and here), apparently the 6970s CF are less noisy and seem to pull ahead of the 6990 sometimes, especially with AA, and the Review says that the 6990 will in the end offer better performance than a 570 SLi setup.

Having never used one, I'm not sure if the Dual-GPU Cards can run into the same problems as CrossFire Setups (lack of support in the game etc), so I'm stuck at a point where I need some advice, maybe someone has some experience with any of these setups?

Also, recommendations for Manufacturer? Sapphire, Diamond, Asus?

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01;12983490
Dual 6950 2Gs. The 6990 is very loud and the 6970s are not worth it compared to the 6950s. The GTX 570s will choke at that res let alone the 560s.
I assume one would overclock the 6950s to bring them up to 6970 Speeds then? Reference Design + Cooler or?

Haven't looked into the 6950, is it really that much quieter? :O

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implied;12984147
Hm.
I assume one would overclock the 6950s to bring them up to 6970 Speeds then? Reference Design + Cooler or?

Haven't looked into the 6950, is it really that much quieter? :O
I think the 6950 and 6970 are on par in terms of noise. The GTX 570 would be more quiet but slower at the res you plan to game on. The 6990 is the loud one, the 6970s are just more expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. And since we can Bios Flash the 6950s to 6970 Speeds while paying a lot less, they end up being the best pick of the bunch. Makes sense.

Bios Flash or just Manually Overclock them then? There's that Sapphire TriXX Program I think.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implied;12985946
I see. And since we can Bios Flash the 6950s to 6970 Speeds while paying a lot less, they end up being the best pick of the bunch. Makes sense.

Bios Flash or just Manually Overclock them then? There's that Sapphire TriXX Program I think.
I believe you can only do this with the 2gb reference versions!

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

I say go with dual 570's. MSI's line of Twin Frozr II coolers are great coolers, keeps my 560 Ti under 62C under load. They aren't loud either.

I am not sure I agree the Twin Frozr line is good for crossfire or SLI. I agree they are pretty good for a single card. You are just gonna end up heating the case and the other card. I have to say stock cooling will probably better in xfire/SLI situation.

Does not the 6990 already have like 3 display ports you can run 3 monitors off? That I think would be pretty awesome not having to deal with screen tear and such. But I got zero experience with eyeinfinity - so do not quote me on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 6990 can do up to 5 Displays right now, and I think soon 6, once something for the DisplayPorts is out or something something. Problem is, its ridiculously loud.

Unless I' mistaken though Multi GPU Cards are nothing special, just 2 GPU Chips on one Card CrossFired or SLied together, so in theory whatever issues SLi/CrossFire Setups have should technically carry over...?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth
View Post

Get a 6950 and just overclock it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-562-_-Product

I'm sure you'll be happy at stock settings though. Get a quiet model like the one above.

I agree with the selection of the MSI Frozr but this card from MSI doesn't support the flash to 6970

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.