Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my 670 to the new 1080 and I really want to know if I'm gonna need buy a new PC for it or will my current hardware suffice?
I was looking in other forums and discussions and the opinions are very diverse.

Intel i5-3570k overclocked to 4.4ghz
Noctua NH-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC
Corsair TX 650 V2
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Intel SSD 520 120GB
Asus Xonar D2X
NZXT Phantom V2
Dell U2412M
- I would also really like to know if it's not better to buy a 120hz/144hz monitor because I'm likely to pass the 60 fps in most of the games?

Thanks in advance, I really trust your opinion.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Of course the opinions are diverse: some people don't know the difference between "need" and "want". You don't need anything new with this upgrade because this CPU still plenty good enough and so is everything else.

I can't answer the question about the monitor because I don't know the answer. So, someone else will have to provide an answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Of course the opinions are diverse: some people don't know the difference between "need" and "want". You don't need anything new with this upgrade because this CPU still plenty good enough and so is everything else.

I can't answer the question about the monitor because I don't know the answer. So, someone else will have to provide an answer.
The question is whether any of my parts are going to bottleneck the 1080 and it won't work as good as it should.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Hello,

Of course it is difficult to say as the GTX 1080 isn't out yet but those specs should be fine with it. I went from 3770k > 5930k and noticed hardly any difference in performance if i'm honest. I would be surprised if many games maxed out even your 3570k with a single GTX 1080.

You should see a good gain from GTX 670 > GTX 1080, roughly double the performance as i went from GTX 670 SLI to GTX 980 SLI and the difference was huge. GTX 1080 is about on par with 980 SLI so coming from a single GTX 670 should give you the WOW factor.

120hz / 144hz monitors, yes well worth the money and on a single GTX 1080, you will push above 60hz on most games. I have 980 SLI on a 165hz Acer XB271HU and regularly get over 100fps, if not the full 165fps on games such as Project CAR's, Assetto Corsa and Battlefield.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
IMO your PC will keep up with any GPU, for almost all games.

You will certainly be able to push beyond 60fps for all games so you could go for a higher resolution or refresh rate for sure, depends on how much you have to spend really
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

IMO your PC will keep up with any GPU, for almost all games.

You will certainly be able to push beyond 60fps for all games so you could go for a higher resolution or refresh rate for sure, depends on how much you have to spend really
biggrin.gif
Can you elaborate on the "almost all games" part?
smile.gif

I'm really satisfied with my current monitor and I don't want to spend any more money than I need, the question is if the refresh rate really does make a difference.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxZXL View Post

The question is whether any of my parts are going to bottleneck the 1080 and it won't work as good as it should.
Yeah I know, and I feel that I answered that with a pretty solid No - you'll be fine.

Edit: If you caught the original version of this post, then I apologize for the confusion. When I said "a pretty solid Yes", I was thinking in my head "yes you will be fine". However, I realized that it would be confusing to say "yes" in response to this because that's like saying, "Yes, you'll have a bottleneck and you'll be fine". lol So yeah, no you won't have any problems at all.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Quote:

Can you elaborate on the "almost all games" part?
smile.gif
At 1080p you are more 'CPU limited' by this I mean the GPU will be done with its share of the job quicker due to the low resolution where as the CPU's 'job' stays the same no matter the resolution. In CPU intensive tittles this will be more prevalent.

For now 4 fast cores is the way to go and you already have that so I wouldn't upgrade, but some games do see an increase in FPS with more cores, but they are few and far between, and definitely not as much as a gain you will see going from a 670 to a 1080.

If anything push the resolution to QHD and higher refresh and you'll be fine with the GTX1080 from what we have seen so far.

TL;DR: No your 3570k will not bottleneck a GTX1080

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

No worries, if you have money to burn upgrade that SSD 120GB is tiny!
yes that's true. Planning to upgrade it as well as my RAM

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Quote:

Hey guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my 670 to the new 1080 and I really want to know if I'm gonna need buy a new PC for it or will my current hardware suffice?
I was looking in other forums and discussions and the opinions are very diverse.

Intel i5-3570k overclocked to 4.4ghz
Noctua NH-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC
Corsair TX 650 V2
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Intel SSD 520 120GB
Asus Xonar D2X
NZXT Phantom V2
Dell U2412M
- I would also really like to know if it's not better to buy a 120hz/144hz monitor because I'm likely to pass the 60 fps in most of the games?

Thanks in advance, I really trust your opinion.
Your golden.

Shoot man ... I'm going to be using *2* 1080's with a 2700K processor and I'm not sweating it ...

Fire it up and enjoy; your going to freak out coming from a 670 LOL ...

Save that money from processor upgrade and instead get a nice 120+ HZ 1440p monitor ... I'd say that would be your best upgrade at this point ...

thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You don't really need to buy anything.

Too much to answer and there are no correct answers.
Your current monitor produces much much better image quality than any current 1080p 144Hz monitor. Some people like fluidity, some like correct natural image. If you don't want to make compromises in terms of image quality, you'll be looking at spending another 500-600 -something on a new monitor.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

The weakpoints I see is the PSU quality and Monitor not being [email protected]
I dunno, I think the PSU is fine. Sure, it's not super new and it's not super high-end, but it's still a very solid unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I dunno, I think the PSU is fine. Sure, it's not super new and it's not super high-end, but it's still a very solid unit.
What do I need to look for in a high-end PSU? For future purchases
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

What do I need to look for in a high-end PSU? For future purchases
smile.gif
Good question, but unfortunately there's no way to judge the quality of a PSU by looking at its specifications or features. So, you either have to study professional expert reviews or just ask here on OCN.

A high-end PSU isn't really necessary though unless you're doing pretty extreme overclocking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts