Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to upgrade to a 3.2-3.4 socket 478. I have a P4P800 SE and want to hit 4.0Ghz+. Currently running water and some alright ram. PC3200. If anyone could help me get this goal that would be nice. Thanks again.
Price limit is about 200-250 to get to this goal.
Just to add: What stepping is good and Rev?

Current Pross

Just got this stable http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=63114

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I doubt there are any good steppings for 478pin processors (that I know of)

But I believe that you might be able to get a 3.8GHz overclock, I really haven't payed much attention to intel overclocks as far as 478pin processors, but that I remember, I haven't seen a 478 @ 4.0 w/o Phase change. But I'm probably pretty wrong seeing as how intels overclock very high, and I just read some of neweggs reviews and a few people got 4.0GHz overclocks so... I stand corrected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...82E16819116172

^^ There's what you probably need.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have been trying to reach 4.0 stable for a year. At one time i reached 4.1 unstable but i set my ram to a lower speed. In the quest to reach higher speeds i have ended up buying different parts and have ended up with enough parts to build my wife a P4
and still have a few extras, I just don't know how people do it
Right now I'm at a modest 3.6.

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

I doubt there are any good steppings for 478pin processors (that I know of)

But I believe that you might be able to get a 3.8GHz overclock, I really haven't payed much attention to intel overclocks as far as 478pin processors, but that I remember, I haven't seen a 478 @ 4.0 w/o Phase change. But I'm probably pretty wrong seeing as how intels overclock very high, and I just read some of neweggs reviews and a few people got 4.0GHz overclocks so... I stand corrected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...82E16819116172

^^ There's what you probably need.

I beg to differ as well
I have a 478pin 3.4Ghz @ 4.113Ghz stable.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry

I have been trying to reach 4.0 stable for a year. At one time i reached 4.1 unstable but i set my ram to a lower speed. In the quest to reach higher speeds i have ended up buying different parts and have ended up with enough parts to build my wife a P4
and still have a few extras, I just don't know how people do it
Right now I'm at a modest 3.6.

Is temp holding you back or is it just unstable above 3.8 or so?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lohoutlaw

I beg to differ as well
I have a 478pin 3.4Ghz @ 4.113Ghz stable.

Stands corrected for the second time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
well i have a 3.0 pressy and im at 25% overclock which is 3.75, for you 25% for a 3.2 would = 4GHZ. it took me about 3 days to get here and my ram was they tricky part im running it at 250mhz so 1:1 ratio. i figured it could do it so i kinda overlooked it as the problem. make sure you have some very good DDR400 or some DDR550 geil ram or the like if you want to run 1:1 ratio. i dont see why you could not get to 4GHZ. the chip is capable of it at least from my expiriences.

·
Registered
67 Posts
have a 3.2 at 4.0 rock solid right now only 1.45 on Vcore
Was a great chip, burned it in for about a week then it OC'd like a dream
Dont remember the stepping, at work right now but i will check when i get home

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GQ101

have a 3.2 at 4.0 rock solid right now only 1.45 on Vcore
Was a great chip, burned it in for about a week then it OC'd like a dream
Dont remember the stepping, at work right now but i will check when i get home

If you could let me know what the specs are....Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
I have a 3.2E running right around 4.0 GHz (or at least I did before an non-overclocking related problem sidelined my mobo). I think you'll find that to be a good value CPU for Socket 478 with a lot of OC potential.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

I have a 3.2E running right around 4.0 GHz (or at least I did before an non-overclocking related problem sidelined my mobo). I think you'll find that to be a good value CPU for Socket 478 with a lot of OC potential.

I've heard that some are good and some are not so good? The E edition. Is there any truth to this?

·
Banned
240 Posts
i have the p4p800-E and its a great board. im stuck at about 3.9 unstable, and 3.87 stable. i think its my ram thats holding me back as it wont go above 260mhz. going to eventually upgrade after i sell a few more houses. i want to be able to hit 4.0ghz from 3.0.

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the way it is an EO stepping chip that i have in my rig now
The EE edition of the chip if that is what you mean by E is not suppose to be that great of an OC'er. I would go with just the 3.2 and try to get a later stepping they seem to OC a little better, an engineering sample would be even better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts